AMD 3500 (Venice)

dmb51599

In Runtime
I am looking at getting the Athlon 64 3500 (venice) for my new system I am building. I see there are a few different types of this cpu that are offered with different names. What is the difference between these and is Venice a good choice?? Thanks!!!

San Diego core is better with a higher 1MB L2 Cache while Venice is only 512KB. Both use 90nm process. The older cores like the Newcastle, Winchester, Clawhammer, you don't want to touch. Too old for CPU. San Diego and Venice are two new CPU cores with San Diego being the best.

Dual cores, Toldeo is better than Manchester core because of the increased L2 cache. Anything with higher cache, I'll take.

I am a noob when it comes to all of this. Will I notice a difference in the operation of the computer if I go with San Diego over Venice?

It might run a little faster in some applications but they both have the same clock rate. The San Diego overclocks better than Venice so the advantage goes to San Diego, plus, larger cache equals better performance.

I have been looking online and cant seem to find the San Diego core. All Venice and older. Will San Diego cost me more than say a Venice that I can get retail for $201.

The San Diego and Venice core has only a $30 difference separating them with the San Diego core costing more (around $234). That's is way good and I would get the San Deigo 3700+ instead. If it was like $100 difference between the two, then forget it. Two similar CPU's shouldn't cost that much and in this case, you pay an extra $30 more to get a better CPU.

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 1GHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103539

in comparison to the 3500+ Venice:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 1GHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103603

That San Diego core's got some monstrous reviews and very positive. All positive except for the busted contents during shipping on one of them. Have no clue what happened there.

Back
Top Bottom