Ahhh! PC Wont turn on! Whatd I do??

karling07

Daemon Poster
I just installed a new heatsink/fan and fan onto my computer. I was a little rough (the heatsink was a b*tch to get on!!!), trying to clip it in with a screwdriver... But I got it all on! I booted back on like normal and it went through regular bootup screen BIOS and whatnot.

But then, when it normally just starts booting XP home, it just shut off. I waited a few seconds, pressed the on button, and NOTHING happened. Like no power or anything.

What did I do? :(

hahaha its plugged in ;) i double checked all of the wires too... I just dont understand why it started up halfway once and then didnt start up at ALL after...

Is it possible that I'm using too much power? Currently, I have the default PSU that came with my case (250W/350W) and this is what I'm running:

AMD 2000+ XP Processor
Ultraquiet Arctic Cooling Heatsink/Fan
7800RPM 30GB HD
2 Fans
128MB GFX card
2 CD Drives
1 Floppy Drive

EDIT: I've now tried a couple of times to turn it back on again, and noticed that after a long time, I'm able to turn the PC on again but it stops EXACTLY at the same place (RIGHT before XP normally boots up). Then it wont turn on for a long time again...

Whats happening??

That's too low. I have a 250W PSU on

AMD Athlon 1000+
10Gb HDD
CD Burner
Geforce 2 MX 400
Sb Live! 5.1

And the
PSU is at almost max!

Alright, thanks! I switched back to my old heatsink and it all booted up fine... That's kinda odd isnt it? Can a heatsink/fan really use that much power? I really want to use my new heatsink/fan because its REALLY quiet and glows blue :p

Also, this heatsink is really big compared to my old one ! When i was trying to put it in, i had to like smush some capacators off to the side... Is that OK or should I be looking into a new mobo? (is it hard to transfer a processor to a new mobo, I have Socket A; any suggestions for mobo welcome!) But I suppose first I should be looking into why the new heatsink/fan wouldn't work on this comp...

PS: This is the power supply I use (Im posting a link of my case because it includes the PSU info there)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811153027

ur psu is not enough to support the new fan probably. it shouldnt be a problem with ur "roughnesS" because ur bio screen showed up

abowlofrice said:
ur psu is not enough to support the new fan probably. it shouldnt be a problem with ur "roughnesS" because ur bio screen showed up

hahah thats a relief. Thanks guys :)

I think itll be best just to purchase a new 64bit processor / nicer mobo / new PSU with christmas money :D

Back
Top Bottom