AGP video cards vs PCI-e?

PCI-E is faster, and AGP is slowly but surely being killed off in its favour.

Yes, AGP is only 3 years old if I'm right in thinking that, but computing moves quickly.

Thanks. I want to switch to an AMD cpu and mobo and keep my video card for now, but my video card is an AGP and I can't find a mobo that has slots for both PCI-e and AGP. :(

AGP only has 8 lanes while PCI-E has 16. The more lanes, the more data goes through. PCI-E also has a bigger bandwidth than AGP.

What about ISA? Haha, Industry Standard Architecture...those big black slots that were insanely thick and long...those were the days...:)

Ah haha! Nah... they sound old. Like PCI should sound. ISA and PCI removed in way of an advanced SATA Extension Cards system, with a AGP-like Graphics Interface.

alvino said:
What about ISA? Haha, Industry Standard Architecture...those big black slots that were insanely thick and long...those were the days...:)
Oh yea. My lil sis has my dad's old gateway 2000 desktop. Oh the way hardware has changed... You take one look inside that, and it's a real blast from the past (or blast from the junkyard). Also have one of the first Gateway color printers (cost $1k at the time). Nice stuff.

Back
Top Bottom