Adding Separate Windows HDD. How will this affect installed programs?

Schmidlapp84

Beta member
Hi everyone! I am new to this forum and just need some help/tips with something.

I am installing a new 40Gb IDE hard drive in my PC. This hard drive will be an addition to my 320Gb SATA drive which currently has Vista Premium on it. I intend on using my new 40Gb HDD for Vista Premium and using the 320Gb HDD for documents and music etc... I've had some problems with spyware and virus' and I'm just sick of backing up all of my music and documents to dvd's while I format and reinstall Vista. I plan on using Vista's full PC backup feature to create an image of my C: drive so I can restore quicker and have some software already installed instead of doing it all from scratch. I will be saving the image to my 320Gb HDD as the image will be large. This image of my smaller HDD will contain: Vista, updates, Office 2007, AVG, and some other minor software I hate to install manually.

My question is this: If I install games and any other software to my 320Gb drive, can I run those games/software on my PC after I restore my 40Gb drive down the road? Or will I have to reinstall all of my games/software in order to run them? Would it work if I wait until all of my games/software are installed to my 320Gb drive and THEN create the Vista image so that way when I restore from the image, it will think that those games/software are still installed???....or is Vista too smart for that trick?

Thank you for your help!

Well, I ended up installing Vista Premium onto the 40Gb IDE drive. Installation was fine but Vista just doesn't run well on an IDE drive compared to SATA. Should have looked that up first. Oh well, guess its time to get a 40Gb SATA drive someday.

Back
Top Bottom