About to recieve windows 98 computer...

joxley1990

Golden Master
Someone will be here in about an hour with a windows 98 pc. A good one.
Now is it for my 10 year old bro, hu wants it for one thing, age of mythology lol. now i want to put it on the network, will a 98 work with an xp network...and would the product key on the 98 work with a xp setup disc, coz i wanna put xp on it.

I'v recentally installed xp on a pc designed for win 98. Check first that the RAM is ATLEAST 128mb and the processor is more than 350mhz. You sed about ur network. Is it a roper network is just LAN (going thouruhgt a router). If it's a router network wot make is it? Netgear u need at least 98se OS. I think that your pc would be quite able to take xp and ur game AOM. HOWEVER it's illeagal to use the same copy of MS WINDOWS simutaniuosly on 2 computers. And when u install xp on it u'll be prompted to register or caryyout a trail period. Unless the other copy is off the other pc is gone, DONT! U will be voiding the T&C's. Now im not going to tell u how to get round the windows activation BUT i will exlpain how it works:

Deep deep in the system root folder there lies an executable file WPABALN.exe (or somthing siilar). U cannot remove this exe in NORMAL WINDOWS MODE
Also in the registry there is some values on windows linessing. Imagine if changed at startup by some kind of script.. maybe a .vbs

Dim WshShell

Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

Wonder wot happens if u edit ClockTime in BIOS

OR

I wonder wot happens if u buy Xp Again

Also u can control pc's from ur pc via LOGMEIN.COM i use it, it's good and free!

Thanks alot for advice. I would never ever use a illegal copy of an O.S - way outta my books. Ive found legal copy of windows ME for quite cheap, so im guna buy that, I cant stand windows 98, when ive had a propa gander at the pc, ill post the specs, coz ive bin on the pc b4 nd it aint alf good.

Ye ive used logmein for a very long time, depending on internet connection nd stuff it can be in real time, more or less. I use VNC for network control, but yeah web browser remote control from logmein is very very good.]

Thanks for help and will post specs l8a

Back
Top Bottom