About Motherboards in general...

BrynF_UK

Fully Optimized
Which company that makes the motherboards has a good reputation in general? i.e. who has good chipsets, good audio, good BIOS, good power management etc etc doesn't need to be specific to any CPU or socket type - i was want to know who would be best to look at and who to avoid - people with disaster stories are welcome too :)

i made the mistake of buying an Asrock motherboard and it was DOA - but i wasn't able to get a refund :mad:

If you are not an Over-clocker, Intel is hands down the best IMO.

If you are an Over-clocker, I would reccomend EVGA, but some people don't like the Nvidia chipsets. If you are one of those people, Asus is usually pretty dependable.

asus is great. I've never bought anything else than asus since I've always been 100% satisfied with their mobos.

Whichever one i do end up getting it will most likely need to be one that is good for over-clocking, and probably an Intel LGA775 - but i've hear that Gigabyte should be avoided but then again one persons opinion is just that hehe i just need to know if there are definitely some to avoid. Thanks.

asus is great. I've never bought anything else than asus since I've always been 100% satisfied with their mobos.

i was looking at an Asus motherboard, and performance wise what you got for your money seemed good :)

ive had good luck with asus before ,
Other brands i have also had no problems with
Gigabyte
Foxconn
A bit
at the moment i have a cheap budget foxconn board and its held out great so far , for the price £28 it has some good features too such as pci e 16x , sataa , ddr2 800 support
However if you wanna overclock and/or get good system performance you might wanna spend quite a bit more on a motherboard than me
I have heard Good reports about EVGA and i believe there customer service to be very good

Which company that makes the motherboards has a good reputation in general? i.e. who has good chipsets, good audio, good BIOS, good power management etc etc doesn't need to be specific to any CPU or socket type - i was want to know who would be best to look at and who to avoid - people with disaster stories are welcome too :)

i made the mistake of buying an Asrock motherboard and it was DOA - but i wasn't able to get a refund :mad:

Here's my take on this. The company that makes the best motherboard are:

Asus
Gigabyte

Some ok ones I feel are:

eVGA
MSI
Abit
Biostar

Best socket are the motherboards using the LGA775 right now (which is Intel). For AMD, I believe it's still Socket AM2. There are variant sockets, but they don't appeal to me that much for me to take actual notice.

Sound? Well, they're all good to me. Motherboards these days all have beyond 5.1 surround sound capability. But if you're really into sound, get an internal sound card with an X-Fi chipset.

BIOS, that doesn't matter to me. Some allow more system flexibility than others. Since I'm not on overclocker, I'll take any BIOS. But the ones that come up at the top of my head are: AMI and Phoenix

Video cards, hmmm, I've always like eVGA. Solid, reputable, and fast!!!!

Best CPU? IMO, the Q6600 is currently the best. Quad core, baby.

Best LCD monitor? Viewsonic and Samsung, no doubt!!!

Best hard drive? I always prefer Western Digital, but Seagate is another excellent company too. They make fast hard drives and their support is phenomenal.

Best CPU cooling? Zalman 9700 and Tuniq Tower

Hmmmm, that's all I can think of right off the bat.

My hardware experience has been really good with these products. In all my life of system building (and I've built a lot so far--since it's just a small part of what I do at work), those names I listed above has never failed me. Well, with the exception for the Western Digital hard drive, but it was probably DOA. That was the only major DOA in the countless of parts I have ordered, so they're pretty good.

Oh, best mouse and keyboard? Logitech. I have their G7 laser wireless mouse, OMG, that thing is pure heaven. The feel is so sexy and it glides with precision.

Also if you bought a doa motherboard the retailer should either replace it or refund you , by law

Back
Top Bottom