8800GTS 24 Amps @ 12V Rail?? Necessary?

Mambug

Baseband Member
Hey Guys,

I've never purchased a power hungry video card before. This is my first time. Now, I have sitting next to me an EVGA 8800GTS 640 Meg video card. Thats great... not. Well, sorta? I can't use it yet. :eek:

I'm currently in the process of building a new computer, and I am trying to pick out a power supply, so I was wondering is 24 Amps on a 12 volt rail absolutely necessary? I don't know much about power supplies, but will a PSU with 2 12 volt rails @ 20 amps run the 8800?

I'm thinking of buying The Rosewell Stallion PSU (NewEgg Link)

Will this PSU run my 8800GTS fine? Even Overclocked?

I wouldn't even worry about overclocking the 8800GTS 640mb at first. Its pretty fast as it is :p

PSU looks good :)

Well the psu will cope but rudster816 one of the members here has had problems with his rosewill psu so i dunno if you would want one

That will run the stock speeds fine, I'm not sure about OC'ed though. Don't bother OC'ing that card though, my GTS 640 MB is being held back by my E6600.

yes buy another brand, ive had 2 die on me, one becuase my 8800GTS was too much, and it had 39amps, the other one was because i flipped the on\off switch on the back :rolleyes:

PSU is good
had the same worry with this computers mobo needing at least 36 amps
i passed but i got the nice modular Xion PSU from the egg and it works perfictaly so dont worry i think one 12v rail will run at 40amps if ur not using both i THINK
if im wrong plz correct me

just get that nice modular its great its running like a..... ummmm a reliable PSU :p

That Rosewill PSU you selected provides a total of 44A on the dual 12V rails which is more than enough to power the 8800GTS, even overclocked. :D

As for quality, it seems after some initial good reports, the Rosewill PSUs are hit or miss. The Ultra PSUs that have been suggested are a good choice also.

I have two friends running Ultra PSU's and they have been good so far for about a year. I'm biased towards Enermax though, I've had my 600 watt for 20 or more months and still works.

Back
Top Bottom