24 HR. Reset Bios

bullzi

Fully Optimized
ok, so i got this laptop thats in my sig, the 1501, ok, so im downloading a "recommended" bios update right? WRONG, halfway through the update the laptop freezes, i call dell get on the idiot in cherbakalakastain about wtf is wrong with it, they freakin ask "is it plugged in?" im like WTF!!!! ok, so anyway its my bios thats messed up corrupted w/e, some guy i know said that removing the battery from the mobo for 24 hrs, will return the bios to default, because in my case NOTHING happens, the computer sounds like its booting up (i.e. fan comes on high, then returns to normal, lights flash real quick) acts like its booting normally, BUT nothing comes onto the screen... and yes i have tried alternative monitors, so anyway this guy says that taking the battery out for 24 hrs. will completely return the bios to normal, is this true? cause i cant even access the bios as it is, he says the bios cant be corrupted... i think the install program screwed the bios up, so will this work?

Yeah, try it. I don't know about laptops, but for desktops there's just a jumper you switch and it resets it just like that. Removing the battery for long enough will have the same effect though. (make sure it's not plugged in during this time...)

ya, i have done this before just to reset the bios, and i can take it out for just a quick second to reset the bios, but idk about it if the bios is corrupted, he said the bios will reinstall itself??? idk...

bullzi said:
ya, i have done this before just to reset the bios, and i can take it out for just a quick second to reset the bios, but idk about it if the bios is corrupted, he said the bios will reinstall itself??? idk...
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000707.htm said:
The BIOS on the motherboard contains the instructions on how the computer boots and is only modified or updated with BIOS updates, the CMOS is powered by a CMOS battery and contains your system settings and is modified and changed by entering the CMOS Setup.
So when you pull the CMOS battery, it resets all the settings in the BIOS.

ya i know, but ive tried this already, and i still just get a blank screen, so is there any difference in doing this for 24hrs?

If you have overwritten part of the BIOS, then removing the battery wont help. You might be to reflash it, or your mobo might have a recovery option there.

eh, how do you reflash a bios?, oh well, ill probably just send it into dell

yea, its still under warranty, so i think ill just have them fix it, also there's something rattling around inside, so that might be the bios battery, but i wouldnt think that would make it fail to boot, ill just see what dell says, cause i dont have to pay for anything :)

If all else fails ive sent a laptop bios off to a cheap company in Italy, they sent a new one out and within a week i had it back working all for only 15 euros. Hopefully Dell will fix it tho.

Back
Top Bottom