20 pin USB 3.9 header

madcratebuilder

Solid State Member
I have a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 mobo. It has a single 20 pin header for USB3.0. My case, a Cool Master HAF 922, well use one 20 pin header for USB3.0 on the front panel. I'm installing a NZXT Aperture M internal 5.25 card reader with 2 USB 3.0 ports. The card reader wants a 20 pin header also. Can the mobo header be split? I've found a lot of USB2.0 splitters, no 3.0 splitters.

Thx

mcb

I don't think it can be split. You could get an add-on USB 3.0 card that has an internal header.

I don't think it can be split. You could get an add-on USB 3.0 card that has an internal header.

Thanks. I have found header connectors that split into two female 3.0 connectors.

I may be obsessing on the 3.0 thing. At very least I well have two front and two rear 3.0 ports, more 2.0 than can count, plus a sata port. The sata and the usb 3.9 is new to me. I've been in ata land the past ten years.

Reading up on line I find that is not recommended. The add on card would appear to be the route to go.
That's odd though to only have one 3.0 header. My Intel board has 2 of each type.

Reading up on line I find that is not recommended. The add on card would appear to be the route to go.
That's odd though to only have one 3.0 header. My Intel board has 2 of each type.

After a long night searching I did find several answers, add a pci card. Several good ones available. Thanks to all for the help and advise.

One 3.0 header and three usb2.0 headers, Gigabyte 990fx.

Back
Top Bottom