2 Raptors in RAID 0... I think? :)

Jamxx

Fully Optimized
Okay, this is taken from my other thread, about Oblivion. I need some good information about this stuff, since I'm not sure I know what I'm talking about. :cool: I don't know anything about RAID or SATA drives, and I think this is what I'll be doing. Here's a quote of my post from the other thread...

Okay, seriously guys, I'm thinking about running RAID 0 (that's the one where it accesses both drives for faster speeds, right?) with two 36.7 gigabyte Raptors. However, with the current rebate, the 74 gigabyte one is only 20 bucks more, so if that rebate holds, I'll just go with that since it is 40 bucks more for twice the space! And, I'll use my current hard drive (in signature) for storage, which will be plenty! Now, the question arises... What's the best way to set up my programs on the Raptors? When running that type of RAID, do I only get 36.7 gigabytes of space total, or will I get about 74 gigabytes since there will be two? I'm not too familiar with RAID, so any help would be appreciated. Should I have XP on the Raptors as well as my games? I obviously won't be able to put all my games on the Raptors if I'm only allocated 36.7 gigabytes of space (you know, the more I think about it, the more I think I should just go ahead and splurge and get the two 74 gigabyte drives... ) Or, should I just have the games on it and not leave Windows XP there... That way, I wouldn't have to reformat, I don't think. But that is definitely an option! I do not want to outlaw that, but, I'd just rather not have to do it. My XP is running fine, by the way, no viruses and it is in good health.

Thanks for reading that, and can I have some opinions and information? Better scenarios would be appreciate. Assume there's no budget. :D

uhhh raid is bad. it may be fast, but if one of your hds corrupt, there goes everything. i really would suggest just getting the raptors and then making lotsa partitions just like i have, so if one thing breaks, the rest wont.

Back
Top Bottom