120mm Fan Question?

Mattyl110792

Daemon Poster
Hey,

A couple of weeks ago i purchased a new case off eBay (It's nothing spectacular like an Antec or anything but it's better than what I had)...here is a link..

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/XBLADE-COMPU...2QQihZ007QQcategoryZ80168QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

THats the same, only mine is Silver not Black...anyways, heres the question.

The case came with a 120mm fan at the back, an 80mm fan on the side and i chucked my 80mm at the front. The 80mm fan i can feel pushing air out of the case, a fair amount. The 120mm however, runs at a lower RPM (I know cause it's bigger), but i can't feel any air movement from either the front of bcak of the fan and was wondering if it's not working like it should...

Thanks in advance,

Matt

It could be because the fans are working against each other. If I understand you right you said you have an 80mm on the side pulling air out and a 120 on the back? The side panel fan should be pulling air in instead of pushing it out and the rear fan should be pulling it out. Any fans you have in the front should be pulling air in as well.

Do what Tommy Boy said, fans at the back are exhaust, side and front are intake.

I don't have time to do it now, but just to clarify, i should have the rear 120mm pushing air out the back, the side 80mm pushing air inside the case and the 80mm front fan pushing air toward the back of the case....Ill check and see if thats how they are etc...

The only thing that gets me when i put my hand in front or behind the 120mm i can't feel air at all, and it is spinning, not sure whats up

Matt

Mattyl110792 said:
I don't have time to do it now, but just to clarify, i should have the rear 120mm pushing air out the back, the side 80mm pushing air inside the case and the 80mm front fan pushing air toward the back of the case....Ill check and see if thats how they are etc...

The only thing that gets me when i put my hand in front or behind the 120mm i can't feel air at all, and it is spinning, not sure whats up

Matt
Yes, thats how they should be. Make sure they are that way and then let us know what happens.

That real fine mesh grillwork is blocking the airflow. There's no way to remove it with out making it look nasty. You could try drilling out some of the holes in the mesh to make them bigger. 1/8" should work. Make a pattern to make it look good.
As for no fan in the front and one one the side all you're getting is an airflow short circuit. With an intake so close to the exhaust the front is drawing in very little. Might want to consider putting one drawing in, in the front.

I have all mine pumping air into the system (5 fans) tried them in all other combinations and this is the best for me.

Well i just examined them and the front and rear fans were the right way, the side however was pushing air out, so I turned it around so it is pushing air in now, temps seem to be similar, ill see how we go..

Thanks for the help, and by the way the paper in front of the fan trick is a good one to remember..

Matt

EDIT:

While i'm here and talking about my case...the LCD thing that you see in the auction has 3 sensor wires for the temperature monitors....How do i hook them up, there is one for the CPU, HDD and GPU, what do i attach them to and with?? (Don't think ill bother with the CPU if i have to take the heatsink etc off)

Matt

Back
Top Bottom