Hosting Questions and Potentially Looking for a Great Hosting Company

ep2002

In Runtime
Hi all,

I have questions about hosting & I hope this is the right forum to post this on.

If it's not, can an administrator pls. place it where it should go.

Okay here I go...

I know it's hard for people to be object if they own hosting companies already, but PLEASE try & be as honest as possible when answering my questions.

1. What makes a good hosting company?

2. How can a hosting company guarantee 99.9% uptime?

3. Can an SSL from one server be moved to a new hosting company b4 it is up for renewal with no extra charge?

4. I have a front panel on my hosting company that allows me to pretty well do everything from changing my p/ws, adding on new users, adding on all my e-mail addresses, it gives me good web stats, I can add on the DB in the middle of the night if I need to & much more.

Should I expect this as the "norm" when it comes to hosting these days?

5. What kind of backbone should I expect from a good hosting company in order for it to be up 99.9% of the time?

6. Should I expect a spam program like Spam Assasin to be already implemented?

7. Does anyone know of a hosting company that already has Urchin in place?

8. How many techis are there usually in a good hosting company?

9. Should they be available 24/7?

Okay that's about it for now.

I'm seriously thinking about switching hosting companies b/c of the problems I've been having with me not being up 99.9%. My next site HAS to be up 24/7, not that this one doesn't have to be up 24/7, but the next one is even that much more crucial.

I like the people at the hosting company I'm at now & they give me a great price, so I'm reluctant to leave, but for a couple of reasons I feel I may have to consider it.

I don't want to have to keep moving hosting companies every year. It's nuts. I want to grow with one hosting company, get GOOD prices & excellent technical & customer service, be able to refer my customers to them & get a referral fee etc.

I would be looking for a Unix server with unlimited or at least 30-50 e-mails, PHP, CGI bin & MySQL all included & some of the other features I mentioned above.

My site is not adult, but has adult material on it. I won't pay extra for this.

I also want a hosting company that won't charge my "adult" customers an arm & a leg for hosting fees. I already know the max they should be paying monthly.

Thanks so much for your help. : )

Michelle

1. The prices, their uptime and the speed of their servers
2.erm dont know really they say alsorts of stuff to get customers, i mean they cant say our servers are down 2 times each day LOL
3.Dont know about SSl.
4.Misunderstood this question
5.dont know sorry.
6.Depnds on the hosting company check with them first, Some do and sone dont
7.noop i dont
8.Depends on the size of the company, some might be indivisually run, dosent matter though wat matters is wat kind of support they offer, Telephone Fax Email ETC
9. Alot of hosting companies are available 24/7, it is really handy if they do.

Well i have seen most companies say in their TOS (terms of service) that they will not host any sites that have any Adult conetent etc in them u may have to search hard for 1, To check if the hosting company is good Call them to see if their number exists email them asking a question about their hosting and see how long it takes them to respond.

Thanks for your reply

Michelle

Nemesis said:
1. The prices, their uptime and the speed of their servers
2.erm dont know really they say alsorts of stuff to get customers, i mean they cant say our servers are down 2 times each day LOL
3.Dont know about SSl.
4.Misunderstood this question
5.dont know sorry.
6.Depnds on the hosting company check with them first, Some do and sone dont
7.noop i dont
8.Depends on the size of the company, some might be indivisually run, dosent matter though wat matters is wat kind of support they offer, Telephone Fax Email ETC
9. Alot of hosting companies are available 24/7, it is really handy if they do.

Well i have seen most companies say in their TOS (terms of service) that they will not host any sites that have any Adult conetent etc in them u may have to search hard for 1, To check if the hosting company is good Call them to see if their number exists email them asking a question about their hosting and see how long it takes them to respond.

Ok, LOL, I'm assuming you are talking about that other guy from a month ago?

Thanks David.

Have a great night !

Michelle :)

David Lindon said:
RAF is now banned

If you want some hosting i can offer u some for very cheap, PM me if your intrested.

1. What makes a good hosting company? - To satisfy a customer to their extreme.

2. How can a hosting company guarantee 99.9% uptime? - By the reports from their datacenter network and power uptime.

3. Can an SSL from one server be moved to a new hosting company b4 it is up for renewal with no extra charge? - Yes

4. I have a front panel on my hosting company that allows me to pretty well do everything from changing my p/ws, adding on new users, adding on all my e-mail addresses, it gives me good web stats, I can add on the DB in the middle of the night if I need to & much more. - We have cpanel that can do alot more than this :D

Should I expect this as the "norm" when it comes to hosting these days? - Good support, fast servers and no downtime

5. What kind of backbone should I expect from a good hosting company in order for it to be up 99.9% of the time? - oc3-oc192 connections

6. Should I expect a spam program like Spam Assasin to be already implemented? - Can be enabled by user or implimented if asked for

7. Does anyone know of a hosting company that already has Urchin in place? - Urchin we have :D

8. How many techis are there usually in a good hosting company? - A few, but we hire the big guys to watch on our server 24/7 :D

9. Should they be available 24/7? - Impossible, unless through the means of email sending etc, or if was that extreme that you need a mobile number.

i have seen a aload of hosting companies that offer 24x7 live support, but i guess they earn big time :p

Back
Top Bottom