lcd tvs

EricM

Daemon Poster
I am in the process of searching for a new lcd tv and with new models coming out at this time of year i wanted others opinions. but basically out of all the major lcd manufacturers ive narrowed it down to sony or samsung.. kinda leaning towards samsung. i came across the LN-S4051D which looks like a really nice tv, but last night when i was browsing in future shop and best buy i came across the samsung LN-S4692D which was an "exclusive" and had a 5000:1 contrast ratio instead of 4000:1. so today i did some more researcing on samsungs website and found an even newer model which has a 6000:1 contrast ratio... LN-S4096D. so my question is, is it worth the extra money to get the 92D OR 96D? or should i stick with the 51d? i dont know much about the sony bravia tvs... but they seem a bit overpriced to me. one of the people at best buy told me sony was the ultimate best because their tvs have an "iris control" which produces better blacks since it totally shuts out the pixel when producing blacks so the fluorescent backlight wont seep through. so i need some opinions and advice to help make a decision. and of course if i happened to miss any other good lcd tvs out there... please let me know.

Hmm... I don't personally like most LCD TV's. Especially when it comes to displaying HDTV. I'm so used to monitors displaying it, it doesn't impress me at all.

Theres a Samsung LCD for example that powers the Xbox 360 in stores, and I hate the quality of that...

I'd personally trust Sony, but I guess its price against performance really with TV's, as you can always tinker with them.

How much difference in price are they?

A higher contrast ratio is of course going to give you better colour ranges, but with TV's, its the size that usually matters.

But if I had a choice, and was buying one, I'd go with one for HDTV, as these are dropping in price now, and even though I don't like them personally. Its the future really. Its up to you. I don't think the above though are HDTV's mind you...

If you can, test them out.

sorry i should have given more details... its going to be a 40 inch and im going with an lcd because its in a room that is going to have a lot of light, so a plasma would be out of the option due to too much glare. what do u mean by not hdtv's???

Well the TV's above won't support the HD TV resoloution for next generation TV content and Blu-Ray/HD-DVD's that'll be showing more and more over the next few years.

40 inch is definietly big enough :D

ooh u mean the 1080p resolution right? well lets just say im not exactly big on movies anyways... and its going to be a hell of a long time before a satellite receiver is available that will support the 1080p resolutions, as well as the whole tv industry starts to use 1080p and the only tv's really out right now that support the 1080p are dlp rear projections which are out of the question as the room is limited for space. i think it will be a while anyways for lcd's and plasmas to have the 1080p resolution due to their fixed pixel display formats.

Its not just that thats the standard. Thats the highest HD resoloution available.
The lowest HD res is 720p I believe.

Xbox 360's and PS3's also support the HD resoloution too.

But yeah, its probably best right now to go for a bigger one, while at the same price, would only give you a small HD. but prices are dropping...

i noticed that that last lcd tv with the 6000:1 contrast ratio that still is not in stores has the 1080p resolution, it didnt say it on the main page but it was in the specs page. depending on how much it is i think i may go for that one.

Back
Top Bottom