Dell Poweredge... Fire?

You ask the weirdest questions.
Ok quick lesson in PSU etiquette.
1> They are short circuit protected. A short will shut the PSU completely down.
2> They are overload protected. If the draw off any leg exceeds beyond a preset point, the voltage regulator for that leg will over heat and go in to thermal shut down. When it cools down, if not damaged, it will come back to life. A cold start on the PSU is required.
3> Some PSU's come with thermal or solid state or glass fuses. Solid state and glass fuses have to be replaced. Thermal fuses self reset.

Odds of a PSU or any other part of a computer catching fire are slim and none.
However...
Flipping the power input switch to 115vac and plugging it in to 220vac will put on one hell of a fireworks show as the windings in the transformer go blooey.

You ask the weirdest questions.
Ok quick lesson in PSU etiquette.
1> They are short circuit protected. A short will shut the PSU completely down.
2> They are overload protected. If the draw off any leg exceeds beyond a preset point, the voltage regulator for that leg will over heat and go in to thermal shut down. When it cools down, if not damaged, it will come back to life. A cold start on the PSU is required.
3> Some PSU's come with thermal or solid state or glass fuses. Solid state and glass fuses have to be replaced. Thermal fuses self reset.

Odds of a PSU or any other part of a computer catching fire are slim and none.
However...
Flipping the power input switch to 115vac and plugging it in to 220vac will put on one hell of a fireworks show as the windings in the transformer go blooey.

Would the power supply if had a problem destroy the motherboard and or CPUs

Modern PSU's are made to some pretty tight specs. However having said that, there are rare cases where the voltage regulators blew up and wound up shorting the input side to the output side.
Seeing the input side is considerably higher than the output side, yes it could do some damage.

But honestly speaking in my years of computer building and service, I have yet to have a PSU problem take out one of my gals. But then I don't buy junk.
You are fretting over things you don't really need to worry about. Keep the inside of your baby clean and be careful with your cable management and you'll be fine.

I have had a cheapy psu go on me, and it damaged my motherboard. That is the reason everybody says do not scrimp on the psu and always get a branded one...

I have had a cheapy psu go on me, and it damaged my motherboard. That is the reason everybody says do not scrimp on the psu and always get a branded one...

That is right, A lot of the members here will recommend a brand like Corsair because its a very good and well known brand and is reliable even though it maybe a bit pricey but its worth every penny..

I don't even know what I have in my new workstation you see the reason I'm worried about it is because its from the reclamation center and for around where I live I'm amazed Dual Xeons up too 12 gigs of ram... It even used to have Windows Server 2003 on it! And I don't want the PS to destroy it all should I try to upgrade to a new power supply?

I plugged it in my lights flickered then it started beeping then it turned off and then smelled like smoke for 5 seconds

Back
Top Bottom