Building a Theremin

foothead

Omnicide now.
Well, I have wanted a theremin for a while, but it seems that the only ones with decent sound are incredibly expensive ($500+), so I am going to build my own. This thread will be a log for a my work, and hopefully I will be able to put up a video of it before too long.

What is a theremin?

Anyway, here are the schematics I decided on:

illusion_schematic_m3.gif

l2_coil_schematic.gif

Today, I went to RadioShack and found all the parts, except for IC sockets (they had ICs, but no sockets, what?!), and two of the four chokes. Tomorrow, I am gonna go to a different radioshack and search for the remaining parts. I have also decided to do this project on breadboard instead of etching a pcb, due to the lack of a computer compatible with my only laser printer, and to save time.

More to come soon. Stay tuned.

Well, my dad just gave me 2 giant boxes of stuff to sort through, so it looks like I might not be starting for a while. Hopefully I will actually find something useful in here...

Let us know how it goes - I thought about building one of these a while back but never really got round to it! They're amazing bits of kit :)

Lol just went through my dad's boxes... I found four resistors and some breadboard. Everything else was like ancient (as in there are some 1/2 watt resistors the size of an AA battery) so I guess I will start putting it together, despite my lack of parts.

I am also gonna build this one later on, assuming I like the first one. http://www.thereminworld.com/article.asp?id=18

edit: does anyone know where I can get a nickel-plated brass rod, preferably 7/16 inches in diameter? My dad has a hydraulic pipe bender (...) so getting the right shape should not be too much of an issue. If ot isn't nickel plated, that would be ok, but i would rather it be.

Back
Top Bottom