How is this for a new gaming PC?

The Nameless107

Beta member
How is this for a gaming computer?

First off, Hi. This is my first post, do sorry for anything i have done wrong. :facepalm:
I am thinking about building a gaming computer. Here are my components:

NZXT Phantom Black with Green Stripe Case - £91.32

Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor - £172.42

Asus P8Z77-V LX Socket 1155 VGA DVI HDMI 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard - £85.02

DDR3 2400MHz 8GB 2x240 Dimm Unbuffered 10-12-12-31 Vengeance Black Heatspreadersupports XMP 1.3 1.65V - £62.57

Corsair Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler - £61.00

Sapphire HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB GDDR5 HDMI DVI Dual Mini DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card - £209.49

Seagate 1TB Barracuda 3.5" SATA-III Hard Drive - 7200RPM 64MB Cache - £63.50

Pioneer BDR-S07XLT 50GB 12x Internal BD Writer Retail - £71.48

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium w/SP1 - £69.99

That's a total of - £886.79 (Including VAT)

Just wondering if all these components are compatible with each other, and whether they are good value for money. Also if they are good for a kinda going towards high-end gaming PC.
Thanks! :)

EDIT: Forgot to add the Power Supply:
Corsair TX 650W PSU - 80plus Bronze Certified - about £65-70

they are all compatible. you are choosing some solid hardware.
looking at a beastly case, water cooling and an overclockable CPU in a system with gaming purpose, i wonder why you don't have a more enthusiastic graphic card.

Do you know CD's DVD's and Blu-ray are getting outdated as we speak? why do you need a blue-ray drive? i NEVER use my dvd drive.

about the RAM: did you know that your motherboard do not support 2400mhz out of the box?
you will have to overclock the CPU in order to get that high. it will max out at 1600 without overclock.

Thanks for the reply. Never realised that, so thanks. I was thinking of changing the RAM from 2400MHz to 1600MHz. Then with the £30 saved from that, get a Radeon 7950 over the 7870.
Thoughts on this?

EchoNatek said:
Do you know CD's DVD's and Blu-ray are getting outdated as we speak? why do you need a blue-ray drive? i NEVER use my dvd drive.

Well somethings do require the cd that the product came with to install drivers and programs for things like routers and wireless adapters and printers, But these days we can get drivers that we need off the net and for games we can buy them online and download them..

Thanks for the reply. Never realised that, so thanks. I was thinking of changing the RAM from 2400MHz to 1600MHz. Then with the £30 saved from that, get a Radeon 7950 over the 7870.
Thoughts on this?

sounds like a better build.
get a kit with CL-8 instead of the more average CL-9. it cost almost the same and it's a nice benefit to have.

Well somethings do require the cd that the product came with to install drivers and programs for things like routers and wireless adapters and printers, But these days we can get drivers that we need off the net and for games we can buy them online and download them..

you are right. we still use it. even me.. i use it for installing windows... but nothing more however. i NEVER install drivers via CD anymore. i rather have the up to date version via the internet. some might use it for more then what i do, but it is still undeniably being outdated as we speak. that's why i will not recommend buying a Blue ray Drive. it's just a waste of money.
you can buy a cheap DVD drive. but more then that is just a waste. i think you will agree on that one.

sounds like a better build.
get a kit with CL-8 instead of the more average CL-9. it cost almost the same and it's a nice benefit to have.

you are right. we still use it. even me.. i use it for installing windows... but nothing more however. i NEVER install drivers via CD anymore. i rather have the up to date version via the internet. some might use it for more then what i do, but it is still undeniably being outdated as we speak. that's why i will not recommend buying a Blue ray Drive. it's just a waste of money.
you can buy a cheap DVD drive. but more then that is just a waste. i think you will agree on that one.

Ok, gonna swap out the blu-ray drive, for a cheap DVD Drive, and I will look out for the CL8 kit.

Back
Top Bottom