fraudulent transactions through google play

Catsoup

Solid State Member
Hi I am new here!:D

I have just been the victim of mobage.com taking unauthorised amounts adding up to hundreds of pounds from my credit card, most probably through their game, D.O.T.
To be clear: THIS GAME WAS DOWNLOADED FROM GOOGLE PLAY AND THE ONLY TWO SMALL PURCHASES I MADE (FOR ABOUT £3.00) WERE THROUGH GOOGLE PLAY, through my google wallet account.

Having contacted mobage to ask for an explanation and refund, I received this:

"The first thing that I suggest you do is to change your iTunes password immediately because someone would have to be making purchases with your iTunes account in order for unauthorized purchases to be made on your account. Mobage does not process unauthorized charges. We do not have any access to your iTunes account nor your financial information.

I'm unable to directly issue you a refund because all transactions are processed and handled exclusively through your iTunes account, which is fully controlled by Apple."

Now, am I wrong in thinking that google play and itunes are completely separate? Is this reply a complete attempt to deceive and confuse me?

Also, does anyone have experience of trying to claim money back from fraudulently made transactions?

i am really angry:mad:, and any advice would be really helpful. Thank you!

Last edited:
iTunes belongs to Apple. Google play is owned by Google. To find them collaborating on something would be highly unlikely.
Contact iTunes and Google wallet see if anything has come through their portal.

It might be a canned response. :)

It was, but I have not got beyond that to a human!

This human, Jeff, says that my sons account must have been hacked, or he himself must have spent the money. he did not, for sure. i think someone from the game company has authorised the payments. Jeff says that it cannot be because all passwords are encrypted, so that no one, not even the game administrator, can access passwords. I believe it is not possible to unencrypte these passwords, so the only way a game administrator can access user accounts is if the passwords are not , in fact, encrypted. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Is it possible to unencrypte a password, or that a large gaming company with reasonably good reputation could access user accouts?

Answering some questions very quickly:
  1. Google Play does not do a good job weeding out bad companies
  2. I have not used Mobage before -- that said, it is more likely that your son issued the payments than Mobage committed fraud, reason being they already have some top grossing games on-line (they need not go rogue to make money)
  3. One-way encryption is possible (read up on salt, for example, if you are interested), in which case the employee will not know the password

Hi I am new here!:D

I have just been the victim of mobage.com taking unauthorised amounts adding up to hundreds of pounds from my credit card, most probably through their game, D.O.T.
To be clear: THIS GAME WAS DOWNLOADED FROM GOOGLE PLAY AND THE ONLY TWO SMALL PURCHASES I MADE (FOR ABOUT £3.00) WERE THROUGH GOOGLE PLAY, through my google wallet account.

Having contacted mobage to ask for an explanation and refund, I received this:

"The first thing that I suggest you do is to change your iTunes password immediately because someone would have to be making purchases with your iTunes account in order for unauthorized purchases to be made on your account. Mobage does not process unauthorized charges. We do not have any access to your iTunes account nor your financial information.

I'm unable to directly issue you a refund because all transactions are processed and handled exclusively through your iTunes account, which is fully controlled by Apple."

Now, am I wrong in thinking that google play and itunes are completely separate? Is this reply a complete attempt to deceive and confuse me?

Also, does anyone have experience of trying to claim money back from fraudulently made transactions?

i am really angry:mad:, and any advice would be really helpful. Thank you!

These guys are full of it. You need to take this up with someone high up at google

Back
Top Bottom