Windows XP Boot Help

mr.science

Beta member
My computer has been running exremely slow, so I have been doing cleaning up. I've been doing maleware and spyware fixes, managing RAM, and of course, deleting processes, and then nuking the programs of them from the hard disk so they can no longer be fetched, or ran in the RAM for more important things. Here is the problem with it though, Windows upon booting still tries to fetch the files from the disk into the RAM even though they don't exist, and this will slow boot up more than it needs to. Is there a way to control what programs get loaded into RAM so boot up will be faster (and run faster when booted)? By the way, I know what processes and files not to delete, and which ones are important. I accidentally terminated the explorer.exe process, and the computer looked like it was seizing and having a stroke. That was fun.

Have you uninstalled them properly? If you have then you could try optimizing the disk layout, this gets done automatically every 3 days by XP for faster booting. You can force it tho by going to a run prompt and typing rundll32.exe advapi32.dll, ProcessIdleTasks this is case sensitive so type it exactly the way ive done it.

You can also download a program called bootvis which will test your system and optimize it the same way as the command above, the good thing about this is that its GUI based and will show you any bottlenecks etc during the boot process. HTH. :)

1. start
2. run
3. type msconfig
4. click the start up tab
5. uncheck anything you dont need

and shud be all done ;)

You may want to run a reg cleaner too, to get rid of all the excess junk in there, also maybe doing a defrag of the hd in safe mode.

Back
Top Bottom