What Is Going On Here?

ssc456

Fully Optimized
OK Guys,

I've just moved into my new house and have the broadband up and running, now I thought I would run a couple of speedtests to see if it was worth me running a cable or I could stay on Wifi.

With my 2007 MacBook Pro sat next to my 2013 Samsung Laptop i'm getting some very strange results.

The MacBook is performing excellently at between 37.1 and 37.4 download everytime.

The laptop is sporadic and reports between 3.22 and 29.42?

What could be causing the huge change in speed on my laptop whilst the MacBook is extremely consistent?

The tests were carried out by testing laptop, waiting for it to finish. Testing MacBook, waiting for it to finish, testing laptop etc so one after the other, never both at the same time.

Attachments

• BBSpeed.png
    BBSpeed.png
    99 KB · Views: 9
Nothing really, i closed everything i thought may affect it like Dropbox, Outlook, Teamviewer etc.

I've just done a couple more on the laptop and they seem to be picking up a little with results of 26, 20, 23, 26 and 26 again.

Last edited:
I'd be checking task managers running services and see if anything unusual/suspicious is running in the background that you unaware of, Also give malwarebytes and your antivirus software a bash and see if they return anything..

Stupid questions, were both laptops run at the exact same location? Did your cell ring/get a message at all? Microwave run? Just want to rule out interference differences before diving too deep.

Stupid questions, were both laptops run at the exact same location? Did your cell ring/get a message at all? Microwave run? Just want to rule out interference differences before diving too deep.

Yep side by side with each other, no phone ringing, no microwave etc.

Just running Anti Virus on my laptop now and then I'll run malware bytes.

Speed tests are iffy usually at best.

Do you notice any difference when you are browsing?

You also need to take your neighbors into consideration and your laptops hardware as it just may be not up to the task. About anything though can interfere with the signal including radio signals too. Also one device might be a G or N device both of which have varying speeds.

Speed tests are iffy usually at best.

Do you notice any difference when you are browsing?

Hmmmm It's tricky, the MacBook despite being 6 or 7 years old does appear a little faster in just about everything except for loading applications. So once Safari is loaded it does appear nice and quick.

You also need to take your neighbors into consideration and your laptops hardware as it just may be not up to the task. About anything though can interfere with the signal including radio signals too. Also one device might be a G or N device both of which have varying speeds.

I appreciate the laptops hardware may not be equal but I just thought that my laptop being just over a year old and being a 3rd gen i5 with 6Gb DDR3 RAM would be quicker than the 7 year old MacBook with a C2D 2.4 with 3Gb DDR2. Although granted I am not familiar with either machine's wifi adaptors? Again I would have thought even though the MacBook Pro is likely to have had a "top end" wireless adaptor it's 7 years old I would have thought a 1 year old "medium end" wireless adaptor would out perform a 7 year old "top end"?

Very bizarre, after finding next to nothing on malware bytes or Avast i'm in the same situation, it doesn't bother me hugely but it was more of a curiosity than anything else.

Back
Top Bottom