What Is The Best Free OS For Desktop Machines

JCB1

Daemon Poster
I was wondering what Free OS do you think is best suited for a normal desktop user who does word processing and browses the internet.

Im asking as I dont really have much experience away from Microsoft OS's

I would agree that you start with Ubuntu, but as you become your familiar I would move to debian. Ubuntu tends to take control from the user so that you can't "break things," but this causes some limitations I can't stand. Having to use sudo naudilus to open up a root file explorer, and sudo bash/dash because su doesn't work also annoys me a bit.

Ubuntu 11.04

Ubuntu is nice, but highly unstable. Canonical, the company behind Ubuntu has a 6 month release schedule that they follow, no matter what. Which means that an update window will popup, literally 4 times a week and tell you that software needs updating. Within 6 months, a major update will be released and you will have an update that updates like <exageration>10,000</exageration> files. Then when you install them, there is a chance your system becomes unstable or your software doesn't work. This SUCKS! For this reason, go Debian, if you marginally know what you are doing. Here is why:

• Debian's whole point is that it is stable. Meaning if they release a major version, it is guarenteed to work. No bullshit! The only thing that may mess up is your graphics hardware, because that is made shit for Linux anyway.
  • Ubuntu is based on Debian, so you are essentiallly getting everything from Ubuntu, except the bells and whisitles. However, if you want the bells and whistles, get a Mac, if you can afford.

I would agree that you start with debian, but as you become your familiar I would move to debian. Ubuntu tends to take control from the user so that you can't "break things," but this causes some limitations I can't stand. Having to use sudo naudilus to open up a root file explorer, and sudo bash/dash because su doesn't work also annoys me a bit.

Ubuntu is limiting, but its aimed at the novice. The person that sits down, opens a browser, and starts posting stuff on Facebook. If that's all you are doing, Ubuntu is fine on the cheap!

I am very impressed with Ubuntu 11.04. It blows me away how fast and how stable it is! I use my computer for video editing and processing as well as the standard stuff like spreadsheet number crunching and word processing. So far, I've dual booted my two desktops (still need Windows to run games) and installed Ubuntu exclusively on my notebook computer.

I am very impressed with Ubuntu 11.04. It blows me away how fast and how stable it is! I use my computer for video editing and processing as well as the standard stuff like spreadsheet number crunching and word processing. So far, I've dual booted my two desktops (still need Windows to run games) and installed Ubuntu exclusively on my notebook computer.

Yea, i recently put Ubuntu on a Flash drive that I take to work, it works like magic from the Flash drive. However, in terms of stability, be careful when you update. I've had devices stop working after an update. They do a 6 month release schedule and in 6 months, they release. If it breaks your stuff, "sorry". If you want stability without the ease of use, you go Debian. Ubuntu is based off of Debian too. You won't get the nice fonts, and pretty UI, but you can feel good about updating. Actually i still hold my breath, but at least i'm not terrified that my OS will change to a freakin' unicorn when I perform an update.

I haven't had a problem with ubuntu's updates. They do pop up every few days, and I update them without reading too much info, but haven't caused problems.
BUT I've only been using ubuntu since 10.10. So I'm not all that experienced anyway.

IMO, you should go with ubuntu. You already stated that you have little experience away from windows OS.
If it's a desktop, and you have a nice screen, you will LOVE the split screen/work space thing in 11.04! (I use it for my HTPC)

Back
Top Bottom