saving in notepad freezes computer

gib65

Baseband Member
Once in a while when I save something in Notepad, it freezes my computer. So far, this only seems to happen when I press ctrl-s, but never when I click save under the file menu. Has anyone seen this before? Any solutions?

Please give me your computer's specs. No makes and models, just operating system version, RAM, processor speed, how old this installation of Windows is, virus history, and current antivirus.

I'll do my best...

It's Windows XP Pro v.2002 SP3, AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3500+, 997 MHz, 512 MB RAM.

It's probably 4 or 5 years old.

I have several antiviruses. The main one is ShawSecure. I'm not sure how to get a detailed history report, but under statistics it says:

scanned files: 473,015
cleaned files: 12
programs allowed: 15
blocked from starting: 0
No emails scanned or filtered (I don't download email on this computer).

This was all since Nov. 30th 2009 when I last installed it. I just updated the virus definitions before the weekend.

The other antiviruses I have are Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware, both of which I leave off unless I need to use them. MBAM has a set of log files that I can zip and send to you if you think it's necessary. SAS, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have a history available (none that I can find at least). Both, like ShawSecure, have been updated just before the weekend.

Hope that helps.

Try disabling all your antivirus. If that doesn't work try this: (you will need your XP CD) Open Run, type "sfc /scannow". This will scan the system files and replace the missing or corrupted ones.

Very unlikely to be an antivirus issue. I'd also doubt that sfc would make much / any difference (this just replaces the windows system files if they're corrupt or missing.)

I'd personally give chkdsk a run through which will repair your filesystem if it's corrupted (disk surface errors can often lead to freezes whilst saving.) It's also worth checking the SMART status of the drive to check what it says, it's not foolproof but if it says it's about to pack it in you've got a reason for your problem!

First: What the heck is bcde633 saying?!
Second: berry120: I once had a problem that did the EXACT same thing. I told gib65 what I did to fix it. First, I ran sfc. No luck. Then, I disabled the antivirus (after looking through and making sure no applications were blocked) and bingo!
Third: gib65: Maybe you could try inserting your XP disc and performing an upgrade. It's like the sfc command, but it will reinstall the Windows components as well.

First: What the heck is bcde633 saying?!
Spammer. There's a lot of these about - best just to hit the report button and let the mods know :)

I once had a problem that did the EXACT same thing. I told gib65 what I did to fix it. First, I ran sfc. No luck. Then, I disabled the antivirus (after looking through and making sure no applications were blocked) and bingo!
I'm not prohibiting you from giving advice! In my experience I doubt it'll make a difference, but if it does, great. He's not going to muck up his PC through trying - I'd personally just try other things first.

Back
Top Bottom