lost disc

iffy

In Runtime
Right here's the scenario. I have lost win xp disk, but I have the product key stuck on thr side of the computer. What do I do now? (I need to re-install os)

I'd say your only legal options would be;

(a) Call Microsoft.
(b) Buy another Windows XP disc.
(c) Not sure if this is allowed by Microsoft, but if you have any friends with Windows XP you could always borrow theirs.

either option (c) or then download a copy of win xp and burn it to a cd.
It might be illegal, I guess it depends on the place. Different places have different anti-piracy laws.

It's not illegal to download the disk or borrow a friends, the product key is the part microsoft cares about. As long as you have a valid key, find a disk from a buddy (make sure it's an actual xp disk and not a restore disk for dell, hp, etc) and use that. Might as well make a copy while your at it so you have one.

One thing to remember is to make sure you get the exact same version of XP as you have you key for otherwise your key will be invalid.

go to <<LINK DELETED?? and dl the CD image and mount it to a CD.

Sorry, no links to torrent sites here, even if the download he is doing is legal.

yea. doesnt matter where you get the image/cd from, as long as you have a legal key its fine. like if its a xp home sp1 key then you need a home sp1 disc. otherwise it wont work

depends where u live for the microsoft phone number!

you can download xp sp2 from microsoft's website in the downloads.

I Did this about a year ago and it installed windows no problem,and updated no problem too so it must have been legal if microsoft was updating it,and also whenever i would install a microsoft product,were it got to the Geniune windows check it always passed.

Back
Top Bottom