laptop won't boot

martymidd

Beta member
Hi.

Trying to repair a friends laptop, its a dell inspiron 1546. East used for a while. When powered on, all seems well except no display, 15-20 secs later 2 very feinght beeps can be heard then nothing, although the system fans HDD drive etc seem to be working. Don't think it memory as the beeps are not instant and are much quiter than the usual memory beep code. Any ideas?

Cheers

Most boot failures that that is not software are memory.
Try taking 1 of the RAM module out (if it has 2). If still nothing: swap it with the last RAM module.

Tried changing the ram with a module from one of my laptops, no change. I'm now worried that its the motherboard.

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 PM ----------

Another thing, when I put in the windows disk at boot up, I can hear it running.

Remove all ram sticks. Place one of
The ones from your machine in there. (Not one of the possible faulty sticks). Do you ever see anything on the screen? at all ..

Nope, nothing at all. Laptops gone now as she was moving out of the country, she's gonna take it to a shop, I will try and find out what was wrong and post it on here.

Sounds like a possible system board issue then. Without having the laptop it's hard to tell. Display could of went. Something stupid haha.

Since you don't have it anymore, I know this is useless, but I would have suggested trying to plug it into an external monitor to see what happened.

Back
Top Bottom