had Ubuntu, reformatted for Win Xp, lost half my hard drive!?

micinjensue

Beta member
Ok, I bought a machine with Ubuntu 11.04 on it. I used the Ubuntu disk on Try Out rather than load so that I could use the terminal and run Gparted without actually loading up the actual OS. Using Gparted I thought I formated the whole Ubuntu OS to NTSF and then I was able to boot and load XP which before that I never had been able too do. I successfully installed XP though I lost my netcard drivers and being that I can't get on the internet now on that computer (I'm doing this on my personal laptop which is wireless) I also can't load new driver for it yet... that's besides the point though. What happened is that I had over 300 GB on the computer when it was Ubuntu but when I check the C:drive properties I have only 120 GB now. Somehow I lost more than half my hard drive and I don't know how to find it. What if the Ubuntu is still there somewhere on my harddrive, taking up the missing GB? Is there a freeware program I can use to get into the background of the OS, behind C:drive? Or a command line entry that will let me pass? Please help. I'm a novice here. I thought I did this right (even though I lost some of my drivers) and now I'm not so sure what I did even though I did manage to install XP. I want all my harddrive, not just the part I CAN SEE.

If you go into Control Panel, Administrative Tools and select the Computer Management tab, you can use the Storage tools there to look at any partitions that may be hidden on the drive. You should be able to reformat them there, too.

Just to follow up on Dngrsone, if you do manage to format it and want your hard drive back into 1 partition you may need to get a 3rd party program to do this.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom