DEP and explorer.exe crashes

DJ-CHRIS1

Golden Master
Recently, DEP has caused explorer.exe to shutdown whenever a user logs on, or while doing various windows tasks. A message box like this one pops up

Data_Execution_Prevention_blocked_program.png

The computers that are doing this are all Core 2 Duo's or Pentium 4's. Computers are on an domain, and this only happens under domain accounts. If you login as a local administrator their is no problem. I was wondering if anyone had any insight on why this is happening and how it could be stopped. I must also add that this happened right after the images were deployed onto the computers, and they have very limited software installed (Office 2000, Adobe Pro 7, Flash Player, Java Engine, thats all)

I know one way of stopping it (for the main part) is disabling DEP for explorer.exe. However this is a last choice due to security concerns. I am also not sure of what security holes would be opened up if DEP was disabled for explorer.exe, and would appreciate any comments about possibly security concerns.

If you know for certain that their isnt any dodgy stuff on your system, then DEP can be disabled for individual programs by going to system properties > advanced tab > performance settings, and the DEP tab is in there. There isnt much more you can do, i always get false alarms with DEP, and i disable it altogether and ive never had problems with it, it does tend to cause problems with older software aswell, i personally dont like it.

If you know for certain that their isnt any dodgy stuff on your system, then DEP can be disabled for individual programs by going to system properties > advanced tab > performance settings, and the DEP tab is in there. There isnt much more you can do, i always get false alarms with DEP, and i disable it altogether and ive never had problems with it, it does tend to cause problems with older software aswell, i personally dont like it.

Well the systems are freshly imaged and their is nothing dodgy. However, I cannot fully trust that the systems will remain clean. They will be used by end users, not me.

I am leary of disabling DEP because of the super sensitive information that those systems handle.

Back
Top Bottom