Computer Power Loss

XxShadowTongyxX

Beta member
Was not sure where to put this, so I decided to place it here. I apologize if this is the wrong topic.

Anyways here is my question...

Well my house the wireing is all screwed up, if to many things are plugged into one side of the house, it will blow the breaker, causing a certain part of the house to lose power. You than must flip the breaker to restore the power. The question is, can it, or does it, harm your computer to have it powered off in this way while it is turned on? It has happened twice already, and I have only had my computer for three days, I am sure it is going to happen several more times in the future. So anyways, does it harm the computer in anyway?

I have been doing research on the internet, to see if it causes harm. I have found that there is a chance it could corurpt your data, including your operating system, or files that allow your computer to boot properly. I have also heard that it could cause harm to your hardware. Just wondering if any of this is true. Thanks in advance for your answers, I greatly appriciate the input.

Also I was wondering if turning off the computer in this way, is the same as holding down the power button until the computer shuts off. Thanks

Yes, it could cause harm to both your software/OS and your hardware. Also shutting off your PC without going through the shutdown process isn't that great either. You want Windows to boot down properly. Every once in a while is not a big deal.

I would recommend you invest in a UPS and perhaps an electrician, lol. I bought a UPS (uninteruptable power supply) to use at my work computer because the power goes out because all the work benches are plugged into each other. So when the power goes out, I see everyone's computer and music turn off but my PC stays on.

Take a look around Newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=72&name=UPS Yes they are expensive, but can be very handy.

Back
Top Bottom