Problem with the quality of pictures on flash drive.

alucard10

Baseband Member
why are the pictures on my flash drive slightly lower quality than the originals?

I noticed this when comparing them on IrFanView. The ones I access from the flash drive are slightly hazyer than the originals.

This is frustrating because I want my pictures to be backed up on my flash drives in at least the same quality the originals, plus I like to look at them from the flash drive a lot.

The flash drive is a "verbatim store 'n' go pinstripe usb drive".

That's strange, this should not happen. How did you save the files? Did you copy and paste them or did you open them in another program first (like paint) and then click save?

As joe said, if your saving them instead of copying them and if they are saved as jpgs or gifs, that could be the problem. These are considered a "lossy" format and each time an image is saved, compression is applied. Compression is often achieved by sacrificing the quality of the image. Instead of jpg or gif, consider saving your pictures as raw, bmp or png which are "lossless" formats.

Strollin's right on the money there. If your files were originally BMPs and you saved them as JPGs you will lose some resolutions.

Back
Top Bottom