Home folder for multiple users on server 2003

Mr_X1

Solid State Member
I want to create a home folder on the server (server 2003) for multiple users. I want each user to be able to access his/her own folder, but I don't want anyone to be able to access anyone else's home folder. I created a folder named "home" under the c: drive on the server and I shared it. Then I selected multiple users so I can do them all at the same time. After selecting them, I right-clicked on the selected group of users, went to properties, and then went to their profile tab. Then I went to the "Home Folder" option, I selected the "connect to" radio button and selected the Z: drive for the drive letter. In the "To" box, I entered \\servername\home\%username%. But when I went to the home folder on the server, it didn't have folders for the users in there. And if I log into the workstation as one of the users, they don't have a shared network drive under their "My Computer". If I go to a specific user's profile tab, it does show under their profile tab that their home folder is \\servername (the actual name of the server)\home\username (that particular user's actual username). What did I do wrong?

Sounds like a permissions problem. Checkout this writeup from Microsoft:
Permissions that need to be set to allow automate users home directory creations

What SHARE permissions did you set for the "home" share? I'm guessing you just have "everyone" = read, and I think that is the problem.

Now, you don't want users getting in other users folders, so set the FILE permissions on the home folder to Give domain administrators full control, and NO access for regular users. Do NOT enable propagation...you want these file permissions on the actual home folder only, not the subfolders.

When the Home folders are created for the users, I *think* the server will automatically give the users full control to their own folder, but you may want to spot check to make sure users get at least change rights to their own folder.

When you have different settings for SHARE permissions and FILE permissions, the "most restrictive" setting wins. Thus users can't get into each others folder, despite the fact that the share permissions are not particularly restrictive.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info chirkware. I'm gonna look into this and see what I can do with the permissions. I'll let you know if I have any further questions. Thanks again! ;)

Back
Top Bottom