CASEMOD: How to add custom LEDs to case (DIY wiring)

szvwxcszxc

Baseband Member
I want to buy bulk [ideally multicolor] LEDs, and wire them up cleanly in my case.

I've never worked with LEDs, but I'm very technologically savvy and it can't be that hard for a person of intelligence and technological know-how to be able to do.

Basically, I want to buy bulk LEDs and wire them up in my case, and I'd like to be able to [ideally] software-control the color, if possible; or whatever way to change the color is cheapest.

Don't want to spend more than $20 total on this mod, and don't want to make the inside of my case ugly with hot glue or wires all over the place. If need be, I'll be happy enough with one solid color I can turn off with just a switch. If I can do this project for only $5 total, I will be even happier!

This is more for fun than anything, as well as learning about LEDs because I always thought LEDs are cool. I already spend over $2000 on this new PC build, so I'm not looking to throw much more of my hard-earned money into it.

Tri-colored LEDs > RGB Component LEDs | Super Bright LEDs

To mix the colors cheaply, you will need 3 varible resistors to start off with. Holding the reostat with the pins facing away from you.
Run 12vdc to the wiper pin normally found in the center. Connect a 330ohm resistor to the right pin. This is to protect the leds from being over driven when the reostat reaches 0 ohms (full brightness). From the resistor connect as many wires as you have leds. Connect the other end to a color leg on the led.
Make 2 more for the other colors. Connect the ground leg off the led to the ground of the psu.
As you dial the reostats the colors will come up. Experiment with the settings to get the colors you want.

Also using UV cable wrap and a discreet UV light (black light) apart from making cables tidy the glowing wrap looks very cool.

Back
Top Bottom