Wireless Signal Feeding

salselsal

Beta member
Apologies if this is the wrong section and also for my lack of understanding.

Question:

I work in a corporate reception area, which has a comms room and a patch under the reception desk. I work at the security desk which is on the other side of the reception.

The thing is to get unblocked Internet access, we have to use a really long LAN cable that goes across the floor of the reception (which isn't very cool).

I was wandering if any of you experts could give me some advice as how to get that Internet signal and get it thrown over to a wifi laptop.

So basically can I just buy a cheap modem type thing and pick up the 'broadband' or do I need the password that the person who set it would have put in.

I need something I would insert at start of shift and then remove when I'm finished. Its not something that would stay there.

Apparently the patch was put in for a device that was never installed and has just been there forever not being used.

You could get a wireless access point and plug it in to the patch. If the patch is live it should be assigned an IP by the network controller.
But you really shouldn't be messing with the client's equipment and doing your job instead.

You could get a wireless access point and plug it in to the patch. If the patch is live it should be assigned an IP by the network controller.
But you really shouldn't be messing with the client's equipment and doing your job instead.

I am doing my job you fart.

LOL... Well by a wireless router would be the easiest thing to do if the place isn't to big.. How many people do you plan on using the wireless

As SETI tries to explain. You need a wireless access point.

I assume that there is a corporate wireless network already. But it's filtered, hence why you need the long cable to take a network port (probably on a different network to your wireless)?

You need a wireless access point. Or you need to accept he Internet as has been provided for you.

Back
Top Bottom