Wireless connection problems, HELP!

pay tribute

Beta member
I've got a Dell laptop, and have a problem connecting to wireless networks. For example, my brother lives on his own, and has a wireless internet service. Sometimes when I visit him at his house I will take my laptop with me to take advantage of his wireless service. Anyway, when I try to connect to his LAN, it will say I am connected and it will also say "signal strength: excellent"--yet I am unable to visit web sites, log onto AIM, etc. What could be the problem? Thanks

its a long shot but what about mac address filtering? some people use unsecure networks and people can connect but because the router doesnt have their mac address it wont load up anything. does your wireless card work elsewhere?

its a long shot but what about mac address filtering? some people use unsecure networks and people can connect but because the router doesnt have their mac address it wont load up anything. does your wireless card work elsewhere?

That could possibly be it, no it does not allow me to connect to other LANs. How do I configure my MAC address?

i doubt all wlan's as they are actually called will have mac address filtering. maybe you have a dogey card. you tried updating the drivers?

Has he got a WEP or WPA key on his connection? If so then you might have entered that wrong. Ask ya brother about it.

I've got a Dell laptop, and have a problem connecting to wireless networks. For example, my brother lives on his own, and has a wireless internet service. Sometimes when I visit him at his house I will take my laptop with me to take advantage of his wireless service. Anyway, when I try to connect to his LAN, it will say I am connected and it will also say "signal strength: excellent"--yet I am unable to visit web sites, log onto AIM, etc. What could be the problem? Thanks

If it says you're 'connected' and signal strength is 'excellent' then you are connecting to his wireless router at least.

Next thing you should do is open command prompt and see if the router is assigning your notebook an IP address from the router and grab all the ip information?

ipconfig /all <---will display all ip info.

I don't think theres any authentication/encryption/security in place on the router. If their was it would have prompted your for the network key before it states connected and signal strength as excellent.

Do you have a firewall running on your notebook?

Has he got a WEP or WPA key on his connection? If so then you might have entered that wrong. Ask ya brother about it.
nah. if it says connected then the key is ok. if the keys wrong it will keep on saying "aqquiring an ip address" and will eventually give up.

If it says you're 'connected' and signal strength is 'excellent' then you are connecting to his wireless router at least.

Next thing you should do is open command prompt and see if the router is assigning your notebook an IP address from the router and grab all the ip information?

ipconfig /all <---will display all ip info.

I don't think theres any authentication/encryption/security in place on the router. If their was it would have prompted your for the network key before it states connected and signal strength as excellent.

Do you have a firewall running on your notebook?
yea good advice.

Back
Top Bottom