switch or router?

PuNkY

In Runtime
im very new to networking so bare with me:) . so right now i have windows 2003 server and have it directly connected to my main computer. it is sharing my wireless internet (ICS). i want to connect other computers to my server. do i need a switch or a router? im 90% sure i need a switch. i just want to make sure before i buy.

Hi punky as i know how you feel coz i 2 was in that that vote but i have recently completed a pc qualified course and mind is in the the right direction as i would say yes go with the swithch as it doesn't take a wizz to know how to connect it and it's also a cheap way of connecting computers via ICA as well as connecting all of them to the Internet. hope that helps you out if it's not to late already

Well, it really depends on how complex of a network you're wanting to set up. Switches are cheaper and a lot easier to configure that routers are. But routers have a huge advantage over simple switches, like the ability to port forward, port trigger, and setting up a firewall/gateway to protect your local network.

Personally, I would suggest a simple home LAN type router. You can pick these up at any Super Wal-mart store or online from places like TigerDirect.com or Newegg.com. They'll get the job done without putting to much of a dent in your wallet. Plus they'll help protect your server and other computers within your LAN against intruders.

Hope this helps
Matt

Back
Top Bottom