Router/airport q's

Yeeper

Beta member
Hey everyone.

I've been having some networking issues lately, mainly with P2P programs and online gaming (Battlle For Middle Earth, in particular). I have a fine DSL line, which plugs straight into an "airport" wireless transmitter, or whatever they're called. The airport then feeds out to a router, and those of in the apartment who have desktops plug in to the router.

I talked to a friend from school who said that I should setup a DMZ, and asked me what my IP address was...... StartMenu>Run>cmd>ipconfig. My IP is a very simple digit string, ending in ".3". The subnet Mask is also simple, repetitive. The Default Gateway is the same as IP Adress, except ends in ".1".

I'm pretty sure that if I had simply plugged the DSL line into my computer the IP would have been 123.456.1.1 or something like that, right?? Any suggestions how I might be able to battle this problem? It's driving me up the wall.

Thanks in advance.

-Yeeper

well did you setup the DMZ??? also you shouldnt have to use DMZ, its highly not recommended since DMZ is elemenating the router firewall so you'll be completely vunerable online... what you should do is find out what ports the game your using uses and open up the port range on your router... also upgrade the firmware on your router.. thats the first thing to do.. usually when a connection is slow from a router its a firmware related problem... you'll be surprised on what a simple firmware update will do.

Back
Top Bottom