New laptop - wireless connectivity problem...

parkineaj

Beta member
Hi, I am in need of the expertise out there...

For over a year I have been using my Acer Travelmate 530 with a D-Link DWL-610 wireless card to access my cable broadband using a DI-514 wireless router.

I have recently just got a new laptop from work, an Acer Travelmate 8101WLMI, which does very strange things! It works perfectly when connected to wired broadband, both at work and when I connect it to my cable broadband using a standard RJ45 cable at home...

BUT, it wont work properly when wireless! It picks up the signal no problem, 11Mbps and 'Excellent' signal strength.... It opens Google always, no problem but wont open other websites. It will search no problem on Google, but when I click on any search results it just sits and eventually times out. Sometimes it will decide to work for a minute or two and load very quickly, but then go back to its old tricks.

I have both the old and new laptop and have tried the same thing on both and have determined that it isn't the signal thats the problem as the old laptop works fine!

Also, I have tried 2 of the new laptops (travelmate 8101WLMI) and they both have the same symptoms. I have been through every setting possible and the new laptop appears to have exactly the same settings as the old.

I am going mad - PLEASE help!

instead of left clicking on google search results, try right clicking on them and select open in a new window

if you can get to google then your connected, is google your homepage, ,maybe your only connected for a few seconds and then disconnected.

todd333 said:
if you can get to google then your connected

Wrong ... google is more than likely cached in I.E. or whatever browser being used, because of the recent use of hardwire connectivity to the internet. Besides ... parkineaj has clearly stated that he/she is able to connect (and stay connected) when hardwired in. It's when he/she goes wireless that the trouble begins. Sounds like there's something amiss in the wireless configuration of the router that's not allowing you to access DNS routing. Are you getting all the correct IP addressing when you do an ipconfig /all? Are you able to ping out to your router (default gateway)? If so, can you then ping out to your DNS servers?

I just had this very same issue myself today on a client's laptop. The DNS server listed (static ip addressing) was unreachable. I was able to get to the homepage at first ... even to google (because it was cached) but was unable to move on from there. I was able to ping the default gateway, but no further. Changed the DNS server addresses to some I knew to be working ... voila! Internet access.

Back
Top Bottom