Networking two computers

Kez1

Beta member
Would anyone know how I can network / link up my computer to a friends. This is so we an read & copy each others files etc from our own computers. ie - from my computer, I can gain access into my friends computer, copy any file that is stored on his hard drive onto my hard drive. Then can gain access to mine and so forth, all from the comfort of our own homes.

I hope this is explained well enough.

Thanks
kez

Let me tell you...

Well, there is a thing that was recently invented called "The Internet." It makes it so you can easily transfer files between more than one computer. You can go on AIM or something.

-Alexander Baron

Otherwise you would have to have both computers in the same room and use a cable I thinks a cross over or a straight through connection can't remember wich of the two

dude, networking is about the simplest thing u can ever do on a computer. i once knew a computer teacher who said something like "if you connect two computers together, its hard to NOT network them..."

i know, how is networking hard??? its not at all, bu i spose some people are better at some aspects of computing rather than others!

matt

lol, i dont do networking i tryed 2 get 2 computers 2 a network but i still dont no how all i want 2 do is set up a thing that lets me print from my computer 2 the printer which is conneted to the other computer if 1 of you 2 think its easy then plz PM on everything step by step i no pc knowlege but not networking nether really tryed it lol.

connect ur computer with a patch rj45e cable. Then goto start>control panel>network setup wizard and then run the wizard on each of the computers, create a unique name for each computer and enxure the workgroup is the same on each computer.

Then to add a printer to ur network goto printers and faxes on the control pannel and right click the printer u want to connect to ur network and click sharing, enable sharing, and your done, one home network complete.

if this doesnt work do thbis aswell:

ok, ip addressing can be set automatically to do this:

Before any of the following procedures are done please run a virus check, a spyware check (spybot) and an adware check(ad-ware 6.0) if any viruses, spyware or adware is present get rid of it!!! as some viruses e.g. w32.spybot can stop you from sucessfully accessing your networked computers

Also read through all of this response before attempting to do any of the tasks!

First of all connect all your computers and printers, i would suggest an ethernet connection, as it is easy!(which is always good!) you will one 8 port-network switch and a printer server (usually network switches double up as a printer server) connect all your computers either wirelessly using a wireless router then in tht case you wont need a network switch or connect via a wired connection using Rj45e ethernet cable wires. once all this is donerun the network connection wizard on all 6 copmputers and share the printer and internet connection on all your computers so they can all use tnhe same internet connection as well as both printers.. you have 2 options to set your ip addresses you can either set them manly(ideal) or set them automatically(easy) to set them automatically:-

go to-start>control pannel>(set control pannel to classic view)

>network connections>first of all disable the 1394 bconnection as this is not needed and disable any network bridges the wizard created. then right click local area connection(Lan) click properties, then in the white box, make sure only the following programmes are installed, oif any others are inbstalled either remove them or temporarly disable them:

client for microsoft networks
file and printer sharing for microsoft netowrks
Qos packet scheduler
internet protocol (tcp/ip)

Once the above and only the above progranmmes are installed make sure they are all enabled (ticks in the boxes next to them)

Then click internet protocol (tcp/ip) and click properties, then for ease you can check the box "obtain an ip address automatically"

To set the copmputers ip address yourself. Open the command prompt box (start>run> the type "cmd", withour quotation marks) then type "ipconfig" without quotation marks and in the box will appear some writing, saying your ip adress right this down the you can copy it into the LAN propeties, internet protocol(tcp/ip), ip address box, also note down from the command prompt "ipconfig" the 'subnet mask' and enter that in the LAN properties, internet protocol (tcp/ip), subnet mask box.

If the box is greyed-out in the LAN propeties, internet protocol (tcp/ip) properties box, simply check the box named : 'use the following ip address'

note: Do not enter the default gateway where you enter the IP address and subnet mask (this is irrelevant)

The above procedure must be performed on all six computers and you must make sure that the internet connection is enabled by right clicking it and clicking properties then the advanced tabs and slect the relevant boxe's. also make sure the printers are shared by right clicking the printer and clicking 'sharing' and then selecting the relevant boxes.

when sharing files over your network connection ensure that you DO NOT share whole drives, as viruses can be shared aswell!!!!!!!!! all the computers that are on your network will be listed in my network places and to access files you must click the computer.

Make sure you create unique compuyter names to avopid hackers from accessing you network, as networks are vunerable to attacks. To avoid networks being attacked ensure that microsoft service pack 2 is installed on all computers and that the firewall is enabled and that the firewall on your ionternet connection is enabled.

I hope this solves your problem, any questions, just ask!!

regards
Matt

Back
Top Bottom