Network Profiling

rasiak

Beta member
A bit of a different request, and I am not sure if this is the correct area of the forum, but either way here goes.

I am looking for a documented template ( I don't want links to tools galore) that I could pick up to “profile” a 3rd party network. Something to work through with an IT manager/network admin to get a decent understanding of their IT Networks. I basically want a realistic way of recording/documenting a company's IT universe/network, so the main 2 areas would be:

a) infostructure (i.e. their apps like web apps, fat apps, i.e. payroll system, accountancy system, and simple contact us type forms on webpages). So stuff like languages, frameworks, servers etc.

b) And infrastructure so web servers and platforms, database servers, routers, telephony, switches, firewall, IDS, anti-virus, patch management procedures etc etc. I was hoping to pick up a few examples to see the sort of things people record when trying to get a feel for the IT environment of a company.

Does such a thing exist? I don't even really know what search terms to fire at Google, “IT Universe profile”, “Network profile” are a few wild stab in the dark guesses, if anyone knows the correct terminology or has a template they would be willing to share I'd be ever so grateful.

Check with the company IT manager. He or she, as the case may be, should be able to provide you with the entire network infrastructure as well as the software and hardware used, assuming that doesn't violate company security protocol.

Back
Top Bottom