Network Monitoring

Razzle

Beta member
I have a 3-computer setup in my house running off a microsoft router. Two computers are hardlined and the other is wireless.

Lately it seems we've been getting some malicious stuff on our machines like keyloggers and such. Is there any kind of free monitoring tool to see whats going out and coming into our network?

Thanks.

If you want, you could get a packet sniffer to monitor the packets that are being allowed through your router. I recommend that you purchase/update your antivirus software. I also recommend getting the following spyware/adware removal software:

Adaware SE Personal (free)
Spybot Search and Destroy (free)
Microsoft's Beta AntiSpyware software (free)

a lot of those keyloggers run on the machine that is being compromised, so you can check all the processes that are running and if it is a keylogger then you could possibly find the process there. Also, if it is a keylogger, it is possible that you have a backdoor program installed. Those are pretty tuff to get rid of and usually require formatting. Lets not jump to conclusions though.

I do run all those but the microsoft ones. I actually run at least 4 anti-spyware programs on my machine. They do seem to come up clean for the most part but there's always that one sneaky program that never shows up.

I have AVG - the free version as my anti-v and also a firewall. I tried to install Norton but for some reason it ALWAYS gives me the BSOD. Why, I have no idea. I just got sick of doing go-back's whenever I tried to install it.

Anyone have a link to a good packet sniffer?

Back
Top Bottom