Linksys Adapter Just Stopped Working, But Works On Another Computer!!!

mcmartin27

Beta member
Last Sunday I bought a Linksys router (802.11n) and also its adapter (USB) for my desktop, which is plugged into my HD TV in the living room. I plugged the router and cable (Comcast) in and did the whole “unplugged for 10 secs,” then installed the Linksys adapter and router software and IT WAS WORKING. Everything was fine until I setup an older computer that I didn't have working initially, as the head computer to control the network. Its stationary next to the modem and the router (directly plugged into the router) and I will be buying a Terabyte to go next to it to back everything up. After getting this computer up and running I have had nothing but issues. First the connection with the adapter was finicky to say the least, but after an uninstall and reinstall, about 12 now, nothing. All I can get this thing to do on a good reinstall is this:

“You have successfully connected to the access point”

Then it drops the signal and says

“Cannot associate with the access point” (This goes on forever)

also when I fiddled with disabling of the Linksys software to play with XP Networking I get the same but different:

“Acquiring network access point”

but it gets stuck there and never receives an IP address, all zeros I can type them in manually but then its connected but its really not as the net doesn't work.

Here are my some basic settings:
Windows XP Home Edition 2002 Service Pack 2 AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3400+ 1.5GB RAM

Network settings:
Bluetooth LAN Access Server Driver (I have a bluetooth mouse and keyboard)
1394 Net Adapter
(When installed) Linksys Wireless- N USB Network Adapter WUSB300N
Realtek RTL8139/810X Family Fast Ethernet NIC (I found that when Realtek is disabled the WIFI goes down too) I did do a reinstall on it and maybe the drivers are too new? But there are no newer drivers available for it on Windows Update.

So I'm new to all of this networking and after days of trying it out on my own and 2 hours today on the phone with a girl in or from India with Linksys I'm desperate. I know the adapter isn't bad because I got it working on the “older” computer and that it worked at first. I can run a really long Ethernet cord to the computer in the living room and access the net. Something I or Windows Update (which I recently had DL-ed) did this, most likely me, however Windows can share the blame for other things that they don't so here-here to whomever) Please, I've read to many similar issues and none have helped, HELP!!!

Thanks,
Duncan

New update. So it worked at first because there was no security setup. Once I set that up the WIFI for the living room computer stopped working. I have an N router and adapter so I can use WEP and WPA and WPA2. I have played around with the security so much I'm stumped. All I know is that when I'm secured the WIFI can't connect. Its not a password or key thing. I've made darn sure that I'm entering the right keys, but it still just doesn't want to connect. Anyone had this problem before?

FINAL RESOLUTION,
In case someone has this same issue I'm posting the solution.

So I called Linksys who at first told me to contact the computer manufacturer because the WiFi would work on the older computer, and said, listen "It works with on this newer computer just fine without security enabled" So he had me use WEP instead of WPA and also adjusted my channels, etc. He had me set the radio band to Standard 20mhz and channel to 11 - 2.462Ghz then save each setting. Oh, and the 128 bit encryption is something like 20 characters and the 64 bit is the ten characters, he had me use 64 bit. Also, the term passkey for WEP and WPA seem to be different or something. WPA only uses that really long code, where as with WEP I was supposed to leave it blank, because once I "generated" the key under WEP and using key 1, all I had to do was use the "key code 1" area and like I said leave passkey blank. Anyway, basically something on or just configured on this computer can't handle WPA or above, therefore I'm left with WEP that is now running hot, good stuff, a pain in the rear-end but it's done.

I'm have same problem but mine will not connect even with the security off with the N adaptor

i can connect with the G

linksys is replacing the card it will be back tomorrow , but i could not connect with my sisters card either on her system

i found the setting that was causing the problem , was in the adaptor its self up and working now

thanks mc,, this helped i think lol

Back
Top Bottom