Computer Forums

Computer Forums (https://www.computerforums.org/forums/)
-   Networking | DNS (https://www.computerforums.org/forums/networking-dns/)
-   -   How Many IPV4 Addresses Left? (https://www.computerforums.org/forums/networking-dns/how-many-ipv4-addresses-left-224767.html)

BK_123 02-27-2014 10:38 PM

How Many IPV4 Addresses Left?

So I am curious as to how many IPV4 addresses maybe left and when could we run out and turn to IPV6?

BikerEcho 02-28-2014 06:23 AM

Re: How Many IPV4 Addresses Left?

The reason the IPv6 was made was because we where running out of IP's.
But now we have another solution that works with IPv4 so we are no where near out of IP's

BK_123 02-28-2014 06:40 PM

Yeah I knew that, I was just wondering if anyone could guess.

root 03-02-2014 02:23 PM

the last ones were allocated either last year or the year before.

and re-allocations have been taking place.

for example people in the UK with orange broadband, (as I used to have) will frequently find themselves allocated a 2.x.x.x address an address that's supposed to be used in the US, reserved space. supposedly for nothing or US military.

now allocated to RIPE, the 1.x.x.x range is taken out of reserved for us mil and given to Asia pacific numbers authority.

if you want to buy a block of addresses now, you'd find yourself having to go to someone who owns addresses and trying to get theirs, as opposed to going to ainc or ripe etc and just requesting like you used to.

Mossiac 03-03-2014 05:05 AM

Big organizations must have loads of "just in case" IP addresses. But how many do they really need in reserve?

I think we should move to IPV6 anyway. From what I know there is no real down side to IPV6. And not only that, IPV6 has been around almost as long as I have.

Mossiac

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Computer Forums mobile app

BikerEcho 03-03-2014 06:16 AM

There is no need to switch.
But if an admin want to make the jump, he can.

BK_123 03-03-2014 06:21 AM

Does anyone know IPv6, I've heard its awful..

celegorm 03-03-2014 04:37 PM

What do you mean by "know IPv6?" Outside of a larger address pool and a slightly different format it really isn't much different.

BK_123 03-07-2014 07:32 AM

How Many IPV4 Addresses Left?

Another question, I've noticed my schools ip is 147 and my home ip is 147, Can a whole region be in the 147 range as well?

celegorm 03-07-2014 09:06 AM

It's more likely that it's the same IP than region, but depending on the ISPs out there and how the pools got allocated, all ISPs might assign your part of the world something in the 147 range.

_michaelm 03-07-2014 10:32 AM

As celegorm said, IP blocks (subnets) are allocated to organisations and therefore it's probable that you and your school have the same ISP and therefore have been given addresses from the same address space. Most schools/businesses would have bought static IP addresses, whereas your home one would be dynamic, and ordinarily these would come from different allocation pools within the ISP, but it depends how large the ISP is and how their infrastructure works - it doesn't really matter at the end of the day.

celegorm 03-07-2014 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _michaelm (Post 12147137)
As celegorm said, IP blocks (subnets) are allocated to organisations and therefore it's probable that you and your school have the same ISP and therefore have been given addresses from the same address space. Most schools/businesses would have bought static IP addresses, whereas your home one would be dynamic, and ordinarily these would come from different allocation pools within the ISP, but it depends how large the ISP is and how their infrastructure works - it doesn't really matter at the end of the day.

Much better worded than my own response.

Also keep in mind, that within an ISP's subnet, they can subnet it themselves where for a basic example 147.1.x.x might be all of their static IP customers, where 147.2.x.x could be all of their dynamic IP customers.

_michaelm 03-07-2014 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by celegorm (Post 12147139)
Also keep in mind, that within an ISP's subnet, they can subnet it themselves where for a basic example 147.1.x.x might be all of their static IP customers, where 147.2.x.x could be all of their dynamic IP customers.

Yup, this is what I meant by different allocation pools within the ISP (that, and the possibility they may own more than one /8 subnet)

BK_123 03-08-2014 04:24 AM

Right, I am still learning subnetting..

inspireone 03-09-2014 04:04 PM

Hi I am new here

_michaelm 03-10-2014 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inspireone (Post 12147268)
Hi I am new here

Welcome, however these posts should go in the Hi I am forum.

root 03-11-2014 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BK_123 (Post 12147208)
Right, I am still learning subnetting..

I posted a huge guide on subnet ting and super netting a few years ago.

I'll see if I can find it.

Regards businesses having more ip addresses than they need.
When I owned at the university of bath every workstation had a public address. 138.38.0.0/16 is their address space. There was surely no need for 65,000 public addresses assigned to a single entity...

Where I work now we have a few.blocks of addresses, mostly in /23 or /24 sized blocks...,
The thing is, whilst we do offer hosting. We probably have in the region of a thousand or more public addresses, and even though we don't use them, they are basically valuable by their scarcity, you're not just going to hand them to someone else saying oh well, we just don't use these anymore!

BK_123 03-11-2014 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by root (Post 12147398)
I posted a huge guide on subnet ting and super netting a few years ago.

I'll see if I can find it.

I had a bit of a looky and couldn't find anything but did find this post from you on the topic of subnets https://www.computerforums.org/forums...ks-184592.html

root 03-12-2014 06:19 PM

That was the guide I meant. Explaining how subnets work. I might clean that up a bit and stick it in the guide section. (Give me a few days!!)

BK_123 03-12-2014 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by root (Post 12147463)
That was the guide I meant. Explaining how subnets work. I might clean that up a bit and stick it in the guide section. (Give me a few days!!)

Good idea :thumb: