Help on creating wifi hotspot in a vehicle

ballswick65

Beta member
Hi, I've been in search for a cheap alternative to installing wifi in my car from an actually dealer, I recently graduated highschool, an dont have the money to support an iphone plan but I've managed to trun my ipod touch into a phone capable of call an text however it is rendered useless unless I can connect to the internet, which brings me to my question. I just got my HP envy 17 laptop for college and I want to turn it into a hotspot in my car. I dont know what I need to do this or if it is even possible and or pracitcal. I know I need a dc to ac converter to keep my laptop charged and I have 2 dc outlets in my vehicle one on my dash and one in my trunk, I was wondering if it would be possible to have a router in my vehicle? I would really appreciate the help.

~Thanks

To get any internet service ouside of a building you need to have some type of plan with a cell phone provider. Lots of smartphones can be 'jailbroke' or similar if it's not an iphone to act as a wifi tether and then you can use those to connect to the internet on your laptop. Verizon offers their MiFi as a moble hot spot solution. This is probably your best bet.

Just hooking a router up in your car will not give you interent access because the router won't have any internet access to offer to you.

Ok well thank you very much, but those plans for those wifi cards are way to expensive, but thank you anyways

Back
Top Bottom