Directly Connecting Two Computers

Fool567

Beta member
I am wanting to connect two computers. I am using a crossover cable to connect the two computers. None of the computers recognize each other. It says there is not a cable plugged in. So I ran network setup wizard on each of em. Correctly configured both computers and they both don't recognize each other.

Than I found out that the local area connection on each computers were set to automatically obtain an IP address. So I give each computer an IP address. 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2.

What I am wondering is what do I put in as the default gateway.

Oh yeah, I am connecting the internet to the ethernet port on my mother board. The internet is working fine.

And I have the ICS computer using a NIC to connect to the other computers Ethernet port on the other computer.

Here is a pic if that doesnt explain very well.
http://img148.exs.cx/img148/599/homenetwork1vr.png

I am using the same cable used to connect a PC to a Cable modem.

thebigty said:
try bluetooth...

For money you spend on Bluetooth technology you can invest in a good router which will give you more Mbps and a connection much more reliable....

;) exactly cysalis!

and bluetooth is only rated at 1Mbps. (thats lil b for bits and bits are smaller than bytes by 1/8th so its more like 128KiloBytes/sec)

you cna pick up a cheap router for 30$ at wallyworld (wal*mart) or get a aulity 3com one at some onlien stores!!

bluetooth is over rated, anyone else notice how it faded away and is just now comming back again?

Usually what I do to connect both comps directly is use a crossover as you said and use this

Computer 1:
Ip: 192.168.0.2
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

DNS: 192.168.0.2

Computer 2:
Ip: 192.168.0.3
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

DNS: 192.168.0.2

--Jason :)

Edited: Also wanted to mention Wireless USB is supposed to be taking over Bluetooth... I am hoping that it is all good!!

Back
Top Bottom