DHCP Errors Causing Packet Loss?

Suidakra1

Beta member
I've been having this problem for quite some time. My cable connection is said to be 6 MB Down/1 MB Up. It used to be that, I could download extremely fast and upload extremely fast. I don't know what happened, but now I can't download over 137 KBPS, yet I still can upload around 95 KBPS. I've ruled out router problems considering I tryed out a different one, and I was still having the same problem.

I went into a Command Prompt and did "netstat -s -p tcp" and came out with the following:
Active Opens = 6652
Passive Opens = 1554
Failed Connection Attempts = 694
Reset Connections = 986
Current Connections = 60
Segments Received = 279769
Segments Sent = 271631
Segments Retransmitted = 7732

Segments Retransmitted is the packet loss, from what i can gather. (kinda self-explainitory)

I'm pretty sure that I found the problem. My friend is having the same problem and we both recognized in Computer Manager that we have massive amounts of DHCP Event 1003 warnings and errors.

A few details:
Dell, 256 MB RAM, Windows XP Home SP2
Custom Comp, 1 GB RAM, Windows XP Pro Corp SP1
Intellinet Router
Cox ISP
( I don't know if that will help any, but it's there anyways :D )

Since I think we found the problem, i'm looking for a solution. Any and all help will be appriciated.

run a continues ping to google.com (ping -t google.com). if it shows packet loss you have an issue and i would call the ISP to have them ping the modem so you can determine if the packet loss is before the modem, or if its a router issuue. one think you could try is to power the router down (unplug it) then the modem. wait about 20 seconds and power the modem back up and give it a minute or so to sync with the network again. After that power the router back up and check to see if the issue is resolved.

Back
Top Bottom