Broadband instability

Zenbo

Solid State Member
Our broadband service keeps going off for short periods. I have noticed since I've been monitoring it that the IP address lease date has been renewed twice before the previous lease expired. Is this usual? Is it likely to be a cause of the problem or a symptom? Our router is mleft on 24/7. I'd be grateful for any light shed on this.

i leave my router on 24/7 and its not an issue for me. My IP changes every 5 days or so. Its not usual to renew 2 times before its lease date, Im guessing theres a problem with your router?? Can you do a constant ping to it and see if it times out??

What router are you using?

What broadband company are you using?

What country r u from?

Hello JCB,

We're with Virgin, the router is D-link, and I'm in the UK. We were with BT before and the actual bb service was stable if a little ponderous, so I don't buy the idea that Virgin want to look at first - that it's something to do with our PC, software or conditions in the house. I don't know what a ping is in computer terms.

Try power cycling the router and modem. Unplug both devices, leave them off for about 30 seconds, plug in the modem, give it 10 seconds, then plug in the router. See if that helps.

Start>Run>type CMD into the box>type ping -t Google (notice the spaces). You are looking for Replies. If you get anything else, then this shows that the connection is not stable.

Try power cycling the router and modem. Unplug both devices, leave them off for about 30 seconds, plug in the modem, give it 10 seconds, then plug in the router. See if that helps.

Start>Run>type CMD into the box>type ping -t Google (notice the spaces). You are looking for Replies. If you get anything else, then this shows that the connection is not stable.

Thanks for that, but we don't have a separate modem. Not sure why. You may gather, we aren't very expert at broadband! Thanks for your thoughts anyway.

That's ok. You can just power cycle the router then (my modem is also a wireless router so that I only have one device as well).

Plus you can still try the ping and let us know the results.

I did run the command: ping - t Google. Wasn't sure if the Google should have been underlined but I didn't do that. Anyway, something happened, but the response appeared and disappeared too fast to even see the first word. Does that mean the connection is good? So far today the broadband connection has been steady, but I've been down this road before, and it usually leadd in a circle back to woeful.

Thanks for your help.

Sorry the command should be ping -t Google (I forgot to put it into an actual web address).

At this point, I would contact your service provider and let them know you are having issues. Then they can investigate it from their end. They might have to replace the modem/router or they might have other ideas for you to try. At the very least, if you contact them while it is happening they can troubleshoot it with you and hopefully dertermine what is causing it.

Yep, I've tried them. I can't say they were a lot of help. Hence me wandering round the internet looking for answers. Anyway, thank you so much for picking it up and trying to help. It was more encouraging than my ISP's pointless, stonewalling repetitions.

I had a problem once with one of my routers, it took me a while as it kept going on and off. Eventually I started timing the errors and it was every 10 or 20 minutes exactly. It was a router error, so in the bin, go to the shops and got another for about £25, all was well. I am with Virgin as well and their service does have a few blips especially weekends when the whole service is loaded up.

Back
Top Bottom