Basic Connection Help.

Stampy

Baseband Member
Im getting a new computer in my room, and was wondering about the things im going to need(modem, phonejack, etc.). Basically, just give me a little run through on how to hook up the modem, and what im going to need to buy.

you need to be a little more specific, like what OS are you using ? are you using dial-up for internet access ?

if you just want to hook-up to the internet via the phone jack, just plug it into the phone jack slot on the back of your computer. then it's a matter of having the computer make a connection your internet service provider. either your ISP cd, or the downlowded browser you will be using.

What OS are you going to be using.? also you don't need to buy anything as long as you have enough phone cord to go from your modem card to the phone jack.

~mr mixx~ said:
you need to be a little more specific, like what OS are you using ? are you using dial-up for internet access ?

if you just want to hook-up to the internet via the phone jack, just plug it into the phone jack slot on the back of your computer. then it's a matter of having the computer make a connection your internet service provider. either your ISP cd, or the downlowded browser you will be using.

What OS are you going to be using.? also you don't need to buy anything as long as you have enough phone cord to go from your modem card to the phone jack.

well, im using DSL. Other than that I dont have a clue what to do... thats why I named it 'basic'. So what procedure do I follow to hook up internet to a new comp.

Depending on your DSL provider, they should send you a modem when you get service from them. You also need to make sure you have a NIC (network interface card) in your computer. if it is fairly new, it should have one. Once you get the modem, you will need to plug your modem into your NIC and your phone line into your modem and you should be ready to go.

gabel1 said:
Depending on your DSL provider, they should send you a modem when you get service from them. You also need to make sure you have a NIC (network interface card) in your computer. if it is fairly new, it should have one. Once you get the modem, you will need to plug your modem into your NIC and your phone line into your modem and you should be ready to go.

One Addition... they should be also sending dsl filters for other phone jacks in the house so you can be on the phone and the computer at the same time

If you will have a router,
You may also have to type 192.168.2.1,192.168.1.0,192.168.2.0,198.168.1.1 or whatever the provider has the router as the DCHP/Default Gateway into a web browser to configure the router.

Back
Top Bottom