win7 64bit ????'s

liquidmonkey

In Runtime
so i'm getting a new rig and will be making the switch from winXP PRO SP3 32-bit to win7 64-bit (want the increased RAM capacity ;) and have a few questions...

i hear a lot of win7 32bit but nothing of the 64bit version, any reports?

how goes the drivers list for win7 64-bit, will most games / programs work right away or will it be a total cock up VISTA-style?

is there a way to take my winXP programs / games and simply transfer them to a win7 install? (i think i hear you calling me stupid which is why i think the answer is a LOUD NO, but want to ask to be 100% sure :)

will games and such be compatible? games like quake III that i love and newer games like COD4 / 5, far cry 2 etc?

do MOST programs work with 64 bit any OS? and is a specific version of the program required, ie, you need to buy a seperate 32bit or 64bit program depending on what OS your using....or is it all on the same install?

sorry but i haven't changed OS in 7 years (i think) which is like 70 computer years and just want to be sure my stuff will work :) plus, this 64bit OS thing is a new thing to me as well.

thanks in advance!!!

so i'm getting a new rig and will be making the switch from winXP PRO SP3 32-bit to win7 64-bit (want the increased RAM capacity ;) and have a few questions...

how goes the drivers list for win7 64-bit, will most games / programs work right away or will it be a total cock up VISTA-style?

is there a way to take my winXP programs / games and simply transfer them to a win7 install? (i think i hear you calling me stupid which is why i think the answer is a LOUD NO, but want to ask to be 100% sure :)

will games and such be compatible? games like quake III that i love and newer games like COD4 / 5, far cry 2 etc?

do MOST programs work with 64 bit any OS? and is a specific version of the program required, ie, you need to buy a seperate 32bit or 64bit program depending on what OS your using....or is it all on the same install?

sorry but i haven't changed OS in 7 years (i think) which is like 70 computer years and just want to be sure my stuff will work :) plus, this 64bit OS thing is a new thing to me as well.

thanks in advance!!!

I run 64bit win7 and every program works for me (even some that didn't work in Vista), and I run a lot of programs...

thanks in advance!!!

64-bit works fine. I was using it for a while before they released 7077. Now I'm waiting for the May 5th RC release.
Drivers for 7 x64 are similar to Vista drivers. So there are virtually every driver out for 64-bit OS's.
When they release 7, you will have the opportunity to upgrade from XP to 7 without loosing data. However, I'd do backups of your documents just in case.
All games will play on 7. The only thing to watch for are 64-bit downloads.

FYI, there aren't as many issues with compatibility, if any, as there were about 2 years ago.

Personally, I didn't like Windows 7 as much as Vista accept for it uses less resources. I find it harder to use than Vista. And I don't like the layout as much as Vista. But I found there we some programs that were not compatible with it. I can't remember what they were though.

Personally, I didn't like Windows 7 as much as Vista accept for it uses less resources. I find it harder to use than Vista. And I don't like the layout as much as Vista. But I found there we some programs that were not compatible with it. I can't remember what they were though.

I never got winAVI to work in Vista...

Back
Top Bottom