RAM disk error and RAM only partially detected

kronze21

Beta member
Okay I have Windows 7 ultimate x86 on my Frankenstein. I like to think I know quite a bit about computers. I usually fix all of the issues with my computers and the people I know. However this one has got me flabbergasted. When I first discovered this issue I tried to boot up Windows 7. I got this error ram disk can't be created. I don't even understand that, I never tried to create a ram disk. I don't even have a program to create a ram disk. I installed Windows xp just so I could log in and see if I could figure something out. I looked at system information and it appeared only 64MB of my 4GB of RAM installed where being detected. I thought okay must be that my RAM has gone bad, no problem I'll just order some more online. I finally received the RAM and installed it. I was supremely confident that was the issue. However I tried to boot Windows 7 again and I get the same problem!! I then log in to Windows xp and still shows only 64MB of RAM are being detected. I've tried searching online to see if someone else has had the same issues and I've had no luck what so ever. I did a memory check and everything checked out just find. The RAM isn't the issue so what is wrong??? I have no idea.

When do you encounter this RAM disk error message? Is it at boot time or what?

Some installers create RAM disks to be able to unpack install files to. The files are subsequently used in the installation and then the RAM disk is destroyed.

When do you encounter this RAM disk error message? Is it at boot time or what?

Some installers create RAM disks to be able to unpack install files to. The files are subsequently used in the installation and then the RAM disk is destroyed.

boot, okay then the question is why can't it create the ram disk? Why is only 64mb of ram detected? No matter how much RAM I put in.

the reason that it cannot create the RAM disk is because it can't detect enough RAM to do that.

if it is trying to make a 512MB RAM disk, and hopefully leave some space for running programs use during the installation then is cannot do that with only 64MB available!.

64MB happens to be the minimum requirement for XP. that's why XP would install.

Have you changed anything in the BIOS that may account for this. - how much memory is actually seen by the main board in the BIOS when you first boot.

you called the machine Frankenstein, just how Frankenstein is it? - do you know that the components are good? - Have you had it working successfully before?

Let's see... in Windows press the Windows button (found next to Alt button) + R then type msconfig. In there go to Boot tab and click on Advanced options. A new windows will open. Check the Maximum memory box and it should automatically put the actual total RAM amount. If it does not, then RAM is not recognized in the hardware level.

How many RAM stick are there? Try to install them one by one doing the above steps every time.

Report back and good luck.

Back
Top Bottom