New Hard Drive For Laptop

BK_123

Golden Master
Hey guys. I am thinking of putting a bigger hard drive in my laptop and probably remove my DVD drive and put an SSD in to store my OS on or just get a 1TB hard drive to put my OS and programs on and keeping my DVD drive. What does everyone think?

F**k the DVD drive. It's getting more and more outdated every day.
I don't have one in my system. My work laptop does have one, but i rarely use it. I only use it when some employees ask me to copy some cd's for them. Usually music for the gym.

So i would get an SSD and new harddrive as extra storage.
You might need something like this to make the harddrive secure in the DVD drive slot.
upgrade-dvd-drive-to-ssd-348x196.jpg

Its very tempting, I only use the DVD drive when I get new games and need to make backup copies. I've also contemplated the idea of replacing my hard drive with an SSD and leaving the DVD drive.

I simply replaced the 1TB spinner in my laptop with a 500GB ssd. I decided I didn't need that much storage on my laptop so going from 1TB to 500GB disk space wasn't an issue for me.

I do use the optical drive on occasion so wanted to keep it. If you do remove the optical drive you could always get an external one that connects via USB.

When I got a netbook about 7 years ago which didn't have an optical drive, I went out and bought an external to use with it. I used the external a little during the 1st couple of weeks but then after that it sat in the cupboard, unused.

You'll need to decide for yourself if the optical drive is important to you.

Hey guys. I am thinking of putting a bigger hard drive in my laptop and probably remove my DVD drive and put an SSD in to store my OS on or just get a 1TB hard drive to put my OS and programs on and keeping my DVD drive. What does everyone think?

Are there any other spots in the case a hard drive can go? Mine is in a floppy drive slot :D

Are there any other spots in the case a hard drive can go? Mine is in a floppy drive slot :D

Umm this is laptop which doesn't have a floppy disk. I am kinda getting low on space since I've been downloading a lot of games off Steam, I have my music on my laptop and portable HDD as backup and I use Google Drive for storing some files and the rest are backed up on a separate portable HDD.

Both the hard drive and the DVD drive are power hungry and eat the battery but the DVD drive are the lesser demand of the two. I'd go SSD and DVD unless you won't need the DVD anytime.

Back
Top Bottom