Making/Creating a Distraction Free Laptop

niceties55

Daemon Poster
I know that distraction-free laptop are popular these days and I can see how they can be helpful. The only problem is they are super expensive, especially for what they do!

My question is, how hard is it to make one using a Raspberry Pi, an older Chromebook using a Linux distro, or an older Mac/PC using Linux?

Thanks! :)

Me eather. That is until now. Not to sure if I would need it. I don't use a lot of sites that would bug me too death. When I started this computer last year I checked to see what was on my settings and programs and removed a good amount of them before it could get into this computer. I had a bunch of sites that bugged me all the time with emails and pop ups. I removed lots of things that are on my backup disks that I can always go and get if I should need it again. I am not using more than around 50 gigs of space on my drive. Before with the last system i was at somewhere in the 125 to 150 gig use of my drive. I have a lot of discs and memory sticks with the back up data. I have wiped a few of them as I know I would never need them or never used them. The two I wish sometimes I didn't have in it was you tube, gmail, and facebook. If it wasn't for family I would dump facebook in a heartbeat. I need the other two so I have to put up with the junk and there pop ups. I hate you tube as I cannot watch any shows on it without pop ups and commercials 3to5 time. Seems to be getting worse. I may have to start paying for it to remove the junk. Even my videos have commercials put on them ! Ok, off the soap box...

I have that for the computer but the tv has 4 k and it also has several channels for things like Netflix and You Tube along with about 50 + others to watch. Its on them i can't seem to get rid of them. No way to add anything like Ad Blocker Plus. Wish i could.

Like, laptops that do not browse questionable websites like you-know-what hub?

I honestly think any computer can be distraction-free but our choice is what really make it distraction-free.

Our ISP already blocks immoral websites.

From my readings of what a distraction-free laptop is, it goes beyond blocking certain websites and actually entails having no internet connection.

In simplest terms, a distraction-free laptop is an attempt to turn a laptop into a typewriter for writers so the only thing they can do is type on it with absolutely no other distractions.

As long as there is no internet hookup it is distraction free. Simple as that.

That's easy to say now that people got used to the internet as a daily dose. When I first got into computers I had no internet for like 7 years yet it had tons of distractions. Maybe such people do exits these days?

If it's for typing only, I guess a minimal operating system could help. Like A Windows Starter or a small Linux distro. Or just the most boring OS one can find.

Or a dedicated word processor.

Long long ago before internet existed we had BBSes. We had 2400 baud to 14.4K to 28.8K baud modems on telephone lines. The BBSes were local numbers someone set up as servers.

They were called sysops and you as a user have half a hour to stay online each time. It was mostly text based and I've used Telix to go online with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWdr4zeE3JU

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom