Is it even worth it?

KwlSwim3

Solid State Member
My mom wanted to get rid of her Dell Dimension 8300. I brought it home and am trying to decide if it's even worth it to try and make it worth while. I figure I'll upgrade the RAM but I don't know if it would be possible or worth while to do anything else. Should I try or is it a lost cause?

Depends on what you intend to do with it. Nothing you can do for it to run the latest games but for web surfing, email, word processing, etc... types of tasks it is adequate.

I definitely never planned on using it for modern gaming. Maybe the occasional round of Red Alert. I just thought it could be useful for storing digital movies or as a back up for my laptop. (storing important files, etc.)

Personally, I would just get rid of it. I think it is far too antiquated.

Then again, if your current rig is a P3, then it would be an upgrade.

I can still track down parts for it right? So far all I'm looking to do is increase the RAM and replace the battery in it.

if it's better then your current PC then go for it (as OhSnapWorld stated)
if not: check if any of the parts in that DELL can be useful for your current computer and throw the rest of it out as garbage.

You can track down the parts for it. you just need the specific model name. there are more Dimension 8300's out there.
they have different specs for different prices. (or did anyway)
i found this: Documentation
it's the complete list of specs on all the Dimension 8300 computers. now you just need to find out which one it is.

btw: if it starts up without problems i don't see why you would need to change the battery.

It starts up but with a warning that the battery voltage is low. That in itself is another question. When I'm changing that battery what will be lost by there being no power?

Back
Top Bottom