Choosing a laptop that will cool well

Jahzara

Baseband Member
It is a common problem with laptops, cooling. My current laptop is a Lenovo Thinkpad and I went with it cause I felt it could handle the capabilities of AutoCad for my drafting classes. It did its job in that department and runs the program just fine, however, it overheats badly when running the program.

I am wondering if it has to do with the cpu; it was on the lower end of what was recommended at 2.1 Ghz (with the 2.6 potential) AutoCad needs about 2.5 to 2.9. I am wondering if that is what is putting the extra strain on it and causing it to run hotter.

Reason I ask is because I am looking to purchase a new laptop again soon and want to prevent this from being an issue in the future. Is it due to the cpu that it runs hot or are there other elements I should look out for when making my selection?

Yes it is usually the processor that produces most of the heat. Also the graphics card if you have one.

I don't think there is a good way to determine if a computer will cool well other than reading reviews and such. Maybe just choose the one you like and then find out about that.

If you buy something that doesn't cool well, you could get something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Laptop-Cooling-Pads-External-Fans/b?ie=UTF8&node=2243862011. I know it's not ideal but if you are running resource intensive programs for long periods of time maybe it's a good alternative to buying a heavier or larger laptop.

What was the CPU? Dual or quad? i5 or i7?

AutoCad is math extensive so an i7 can handle it. Also the cooling pad is the ticket.

I use AutoCAD, Inventor and Blender, and I used to run them on an old Core 2 quad/GT 630 combination not more than 2 years ago without much trouble. However a little slow to load, so an SSD would be nice. Although laptops w/SSDs are pricy, it's nice to have one.

In fact, unless you are rendering or eidting video you don't need fast RAM and CPU. However if you follow Celery's advise, you'll have something that'll last longer and you won't be buying another laptop soon.

I am not sure if it is a dual or quad core, but it is an i7.

That is a good point about the cooling pad. I will try that and read reviews on laptops I am looking at.

Thanks!

Funny thing about laptops. On top of the lap, where the cooling vents gets blocked. :rolleyes:

Right? My laptop before the one I have now had a vent opening to the side, so at least hot air could escape that way. My current one has none what so ever.. It makes no sense.

I should clarify that I meant it has no vents on the sides whatsoever. lol. There are vents on the bottom though.

Back
Top Bottom